PG Music Home
Posted By: FriarWade Audio / Midi Interface Question [Resolved] - 08/25/19 09:16 PM
Greetings from Florida! I need some help on figuring out which interface I should get.
I use an iMac running macOS 10.14.6. I have a Samson G-Track Pro USB mic and a Zoom H5 Handy Recorder. I have two keyboards.
I need to purchase a midi interface. I don't know if I should purchase something like a iConnectivity mio2 2x2 MIDI Interface or a iConnectMIDI2+ 2x2 Multi-Host USB MIDI Interface or MOTU FastLane USB 2x2 MIDI interface. These all have two midi ins/outs.

Or a device like the Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 which has both audio and midi (but only one in/out midi).

Any suggestions and recommendations?

Thanks.

FriarWade
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Audio / Midi Interface Question - 08/26/19 11:23 AM
I"m not up to speed on how Mac handles things. I know it deals with drivers a bit different than Windows. So.... pick a good interface.... Focusrite is a nice one.... be use it says it's compatible with the Mac OS and set it up.

A decent external interface is never a bad thing as long as it is a decent quality interface.

Regarding the midi inputs.... indeed, there is only ONE input on an interface. You assign the various midi instruments to different midi channels and run them all in series. The midi out from the first one goes to the midi in or through on the second one and so on until it reaches the computer interface. In the software, you set up your midi inputs and each incoming midi channel gets routed to the correct midi synth and hopefully, life is good. I have never run more than one midi device at a time, but I know of people who set up like this all the time.
Posted By: Roger Brown Re: Audio / Midi Interface Question - 08/26/19 11:31 AM
I'm on a Mac and I use the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. Works & sounds great.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Audio / Midi Interface Question - 08/26/19 12:01 PM
I have a Mac to mess around with. I’ve used a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 with good results. The whole Scarlett range is similar quality; the difference is in the number and type of inputs and outputs.

If you get one, check online for updated drivers. There are very recent ones.
Posted By: FriarWade Re: Audio / Midi Interface Question - 08/28/19 02:41 AM
Thank you!
© PG Music Forums