PG Music Home
Well, at least to the local senior citizen center to play for free....but wait, I might even be one of "them". Now down to the serious question. I have a MacBook Air. Latest version of BIAB. Running BIAB through a not very good amp. I use only Norton Music Fake Book CD's with their associated fake book. I've never recored anything nor have I inputted an entire song into BIAB. I only use real tracks. (And let me know if you think that is a mistake, please.) My question: What electronic equipment should I buy to perform with BIAB? I don't need to go cheap and I want BIAB to sound as good as possible?? I posted a few weeks ago but really didn't ask the right questions. For those of you who chimed in, thank you. As quick side note, I am considering aborting using a Mac and going PC just because PG Music seems to favor the PC. (Comments appreciated here too.) Thanks is advance!!!
Budman
About your side note, I wouldn’t switch to a PC just for BIAB. The Mac version doesn’t have RealBand but other than that, the differences are slight, especially if you’re just starting to use the program.
If I read the question right, you are performing live to a BIAB backing track and, specifically, want the best possible sound from the backing track. Is that it?
Senior citizen's centers come in a variety shapes and sizes. You want a decent simulation of a professional sound system without lugging in a van load of equipment. I would start from there. You can play your tracks from any number of players or recorders. You want to be able to balance your work with the backing tracks and cover the range with loudness.
First thought, two 8 or 12"" powered speakers on stands, (Yamaha is industry standard, QSC is coming up fast on the rear, Guitar Center had Yamahas on sale @ $199 last week)) balanced with one of the recently popular four channel mixers (Mackie is one) and the player of your choice. My rig uses an eight track portable recorder (Tascam or Zoom) eliminating the need for a mixer. Your MacAir will work, too, especially if your music treats the DAW as another instrument, as a lot of looped for example or hip hop does.
Is that it?
Sorry for the delayed response. How best do I hookup and use the Tasman ?
Sorry for the delayed response. Thanks for your input.
Originally Posted By: Budmanvet
Sorry for the delayed response. Thanks for your input.

This is going to take a little doing to explain; but it is easy and follows a certain logic. I use the Tascam DP 03 SD. It fits on a music stand and sends the mix to two aux. outs. I send the mix to a QSC power speaker and then route it through an (XLR) line to a second power speaker. Track volumes are controlled by 8 faders and a master on the deck. The first speaker does duty as my monitor. It is semi loud. (no feedback wanted) The second blasts away to the audience. (In choosing, you have to take into consideration the room.)
Make the BIAB file. Options follow. Here are three 1) Xfer to DAW. 2) Record directly to recorder, real time. 3) Import WAV from PC hard drive to recorder SD card. 4) final tweak with recorder's onboard tools. There is a lot you can do with BB Wav files. Eventually, they wind up on the Tascam. For me, always tracks 7 & 8.
Tracks 1 & 2 are reserved for bounce, import mastered tracks, and overflow. Tracks 3 & 4 are guitar tracks. Unit only has two input, one of which has guitar select. Tracks 5 & 6 are microphone.
My 24 song set is displayed on a little screen. End of song, hit save, scroll to next, press load, the settings are all just about the same. If one track or song is not right, correct with bounce or remaster. The transitions from song to song are essentially seamless, as far as the audience knows. I always rehearse with the recorder. If I should happen to hit a good note, I can keep a record of it. Plainly, when I perform, the guitar and vocal tracks are empty, armed, and sending the live signal to the mix, permitting level controls of the elements.
Wow, lots of good information. I’ll work through this . Thanks for the detailed information!!
Continuing on my quest which was going well until the virus appeared. My next goal is to find 2-3 styles which contain bass, and drums. The songs I play range from older country (as opposed to "new"), the Sinatra era, 60's, Billy Joel, blues, and Frankie Valli era. I specifically use Norton Music's fake book styles then look for a BIAB style that I like better or use his.

The goal is to have consistency in what my "trio" sounds like. Sooo, I am open to all suggestions and comments.
Thanks in advance for any help offered!!!
Hello Sir,

So you want to cheap it?
Well, I think I'm one of the bigger experts on doing things on the cheap...
You could always save you BIAB accompaniments on a CD as a Wav file, put them on a CD and play them through a boom box/stereo???

Also, I have a set of Sony self-powered speakers from 1986 that have been through 5 overseas tours. They work pretty well with a desktop/laptop.

This might still be an option if you have more "modern" speakers that are blue-tooth...

Just some suggestions.
Good luck!!!
My wife had a student who was your age. They played some gigs in a nursing home. Make sure you have an exit pass! grin
I remember as an acoustic duo many years ago we were asked to play an old people's home. as we stood up with guitars they all took their hearing aids out...........
All good advice!
Thanks
© PG Music Forums