PG Music Home
Posted By: BlueAttitude New vintage mode mastering in Ozone 9 - 10/12/19 08:08 AM
Morning folks,

I bought the upgrade to Ozone 9 a couple of days ago and I've been exploring the new features. One of the new things they did was they added a vintage EQ, vintage Compressor, and vintage limiter to the master assistant function.

I've been using the master assistant function in Ozone 8 now for quite some time, I find it gets me very close to where I need to be in the final master.

So! I remastered my latest track using Ozone 9, once using the modern mode and then using vintage mode. I used the same settings for both (intensity low, destination streaming). Results are similar as far as levels go, peak at -1, LUFS at around -13.

I have both versions up on reverbnation if anyone is interested to comparing the two:

These Times mastered in modern mode

These Times mastered in vintage mode

I like the vintage master better, Chris prefers the modern master.

EDIT: Moved the vintage master from soundcloud to reverbnation to get a fair comparison between the two.
Posted By: Teunis Re: New vintage mode mastering in Ozone 9 - 10/12/19 08:36 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Morning folks,

I bought the upgrade to Ozone 9 a couple of days ago and I've been exploring the new features. One of the new things they did was they added a vintage EQ, vintage Compressor, and vintage limiter to the master assistant function.

I've been using the master assistant function in Ozone 8 now for quite some time, I find it gets me very close to where I need to be in the final master.

So! I remastered my latest track using Ozone 9, once using the modern mode and then using vintage mode. I used the same settings for both (intensity low, destination streaming). Results are similar as far as levels go, peak at -1, LUFS at around -13.

I uploaded the master using the vintage modules to soundcloud, and the one using the modern modules to reverbnation if anyone is interested to comparing the two:

These Times mastered in modern mode

These Times mastered in vintage mode

EDIT: Actually difficult to do a good comparison between those two platforms I guess, I just had a listen; soundcloud really kills the levels. I'll leave them up there anyway in case anyone is interested.

I like the song. You are correct regarding the levels. For some time I’ve been using the Vintage EQ in Ozone 8 and have found it very useful particularly in the low end when trying to balance up in the Tonal Balance Control.

I’m still tossing up about upgrading. If I do I’ll upgrade the entire Music Production Suite bundle. With the Groove3 access for 12 months it works out cheaper than upgrading Ozone and what I presently pay for Groove3 access.

Thanks for the listen.

Tony
Thanks for your input, Tony!

The main reason I did the upgrade was for the new master rebalance function. It really is quite slick and works pretty much as advertised, I experimented with it a bit yesterday. And the only reason I wanted that is because I have a few old songs here that need work but I no longer have the source files for so can't remix. A little project for when the snow flies!
Posted By: Teunis Re: New vintage mode mastering in Ozone 9 - 10/17/19 06:50 AM
I have found using the “Vintage Master Assistant” Ozone 9 makes a subtle difference that is harder to achieve in Ozone 8. Looking at the output waveform it seems to have a slightly more compressed output but not enough for me to hear but it does seem to lift the song. It seems easier to tame the cymbals in the RealDrums (just my opinion).

I presently pay US$15 a month for Groove3 access (US$180 for 12 months.) I intend to keep up with the Groove3 for a while yet (there is so much training available there). Upgrading to Music Production Suite 3 costs US$200 and includes 12 months access to Groove3. Seems a good way to go. The Music Production Suite 3 also includes a couple of Reverbs (maybe I could learn to get more out of these.)

So I’d best bite the bullet so to speak. Sorry, I find it easier to state my thinking. Maybe others have a different opinion to share.

Tony
What I found when playing with it (master assistant, vintage mode) is that is doesn't set the levels for limiters threshold and ceiling controls correctly, it's off by around 3db actually. Easy enough to manually change and that's what I did, but I'm pretty sure it's a bug and I've reported it to them.

But! It sounds great IMHO. Chris agreed too once she heard it on reverbnation, she was initially listening on soundcloud.

Note: I never played with the vintage modules in Ozone 8 so I'm comparing it to using the modern modules.
Posted By: Teunis Re: New vintage mode mastering in Ozone 9 - 10/17/19 07:39 AM
I also found in Reaper checking the MP3 CODEC silents the audio. Also in Reaper using the Gain Match button increases the overall volume by about 3 dB but then stays the same in bypass or in use. Both these issues in Reaper but not in Stand-alone mode or in Cakewalk. I reported these issues but once again not a game changer in my opinion. I can live with the issues.

I set my ceiling levels to -1.3 dB use True Peak and use a LUFS meter to set the output levels. I’ve found this way I don’t have clipping issues whatsoever.

Tony
Yes, I noticed the problem with the gain match button as well, except it happened for me in standalone mode.

Not a game changer I agree. I'm sure it will be fixed soon, V9 is still pretty new so bound to be some minor issues.
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Thanks for your input, Tony!

The main reason I did the upgrade was for the new master rebalance function. It really is quite slick and works pretty much as advertised, I experimented with it a bit yesterday. And the only reason I wanted that is because I have a few old songs here that need work but I no longer have the source files for so can't remix. A little project for when the snow flies!

I updated to Ozone 9 for this reason also. It works great to make the drums really pop when you need them to.
Posted By: Hugh2 Re: New vintage mode mastering in Ozone 9 - 11/19/19 07:57 PM
Hi Blue ,
Im answering without looking at any other responses so as not to be influenced ,
Firstly the vocals on the Vintage are more clear and up front.
Secondly the modern seems wider .
The Vintage has great separation between instruments which I like.
Both Masters are good but the Vintage one has it for me by 10 percent.
Song is excellent mix wise and the panning is very good ,
Well done H
Thanks for listening to both, Hugh, I appreciate it! It's a subtle difference between the two for sure, 10% sounds about right.

I've mastered a couple more songs since my original post, last one I used the modern mode. Still learning the new vintage modules at this point, but it's fun wink
Posted By: Hugh2 Re: New vintage mode mastering in Ozone 9 - 11/20/19 04:57 PM
Yeah Blue,
I think the Ozone 9 is another step up on 8 but I only tried the trial version but I loved it.Nectar 3 is pretty cool too I have to say.Its amazing how good some of the presets are too,h
© PG Music Forums