PG Music Home
Posted By: mrgeeze Recording Guitar Direct- Do's and Don'ts? - 11/16/19 12:50 PM
Looking for do's and don't for recording electric guitar on the DAW.
As usual the internet's supply of information is overwhelming.
Hoping this forum can help me find a gem or two.

Here's my situation
Travelling soon to warmer climes for the winter.
Perfect time to put together a CD for next season. Should have time on my hand.
I've got a bunch of backing tracks I've been playing to over the summer.
I just need to add my electric guitar (usually a Telecaster).

I'll be traveling with a Macbook Pro. Logic Pro is my DAW.
I have 50-75 Logic projects with biab generated backing tracks on the lappie
If needed, I can re-gen any BIAB tracks with BIAB Win using Parallels

I plan to record the guitar direct rather than mics and an amplifier.
I have an Apogee Jam interface (USB) for recording the guitar.
Logic has a million amp sims and pedal board options I'm checking out..
I believe I can find a good sound that will make me happy using this approach.

Any guitar guys out there who do something similar?

Any pointers to provide or on-line material I should check out

Thanks.
Posted By: rharv Re: Recording Guitar Direct- Do's and Don'ts? - 11/16/19 02:32 PM
Only thing I notice is that the JAM uses the ASIO4ALL driver ..
if that is working well for you, you are probably good to go (but not true ASIO). Just make sure real time performance is acceptable before leaving for the winter.

source: https://apogeedigital.com/products/jam#specifications
Originally Posted By: mrgeeze

Any guitar guys out there who do something similar?

Any pointers to provide or on-line material I should check out

Thanks.

As you know there are lots of amp sims and plugins out there. Logic Pro has some good amp sims. As far as online tips and material I might suggest this book for you from Craig Anderton. It is available on Sweetwater and other places.

Craig Anderton How to Get the Best Sounds Out of Amp Sim Software
Posted By: Teunis Re: Recording Guitar Direct- Do's and Don'ts? - 11/16/19 11:04 PM
I don’t often record guitar but I do use the guitar (a Tele mostly) via a computer through an amp sim, then along with the backing tracks all into a PA. I plug the Tele into a USB interface (a Presonus 24C) which then goes through an amp sim (TH3) which is setup balanced to my backing tracks. I have a Behringer FCB1010 midi foot controller set up controlling stomp boxes, volume, compression, wah etc. this delivers a really good sound. I read someplace it is better to leave the volume knob on the guitar full on then control volume with a volume pedal (and I agree this delivers a better sound). TH3 has a meter to let you know the best input level on the guitar then the output level on the sim can be set to what you want to record at.

For recording I use a similar setup but ensure I don’t record too hot. Somewhere below -12db. That way you have room to manoeuvre with an amp sim. Record dry and then add effects.

That is the methods I use and have done for a long time.

Tony
© PG Music Forums