PG Music Home
Posted By: Bawb Recording Vocals with Real Band 2020 - 02/24/20 01:37 PM
Hi,

So, I recently tried to record some vocals on Real Band 2020. I liked the EQ and Compression settings, but the reverb settings all sounded as if I was singing in a well and did not match the music at all. Could it be a possibility that not every song sounds good when sung from a high school gymnasium?

So, I'm now looking at vocal finalizer as a possible plug-in. Anyone have the same experiences with Real Band 2020? Am I doing something wrong? Thoughts anyone???

Also, where can I "store" cheap of free the MP3's that I record so that I can share them?

Thanks
Posted By: DebMurphy Re: Recording Vocals with Real Band 2020 - 02/24/20 01:49 PM
Soundcloud has free accounts - it has some limits but will work to get started. There are probably some other sites.

...Deb
<<< "... I recently tried to record some vocals on Real Band 2020. I liked the EQ and Compression settings, but the reverb settings all sounded as if I was singing in a well and did not match the music at all." >>>

That may be the case with reverb if you're using presets. If you use the PGMusic DXI effects. as you can see, they are completely adjustable.

Attached picture PG Music Reverb.JPG
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: Recording Vocals with Real Band 2020 - 02/24/20 02:33 PM
the PG MUsic reverb plugin is easily edited - some of the presets are quite 'tame' anyway so try that.

if you don't fancy playing around with the parameters put the effect on aux bus 1 choose the preset and set the mix to full wet and then you can control the amount of reverb with the aux send knob which will give you total control of how much reverb is added
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Recording Vocals with Real Band 2020 - 02/24/20 03:20 PM
With any effect, my general rule is to turn up the effect until I can clearly hear what it’s doing, then back off by half.
Posted By: rharv Re: Recording Vocals with Real Band 2020 - 02/24/20 09:39 PM
In Charlie's image you'll see a button for Presets
Experiment with these, there are lots to try.

As far as adjusting this effect;
The left most slider shows the default 50 ms predelay .. slide this down a bit (use your ears), this sets how long it takes before the reverb kicks in

The second most left slider shows 2000 mS decay .. 2 seconds is a lot, turn it down a bit (maybe 1100) this is how long the reverb lasts

Then look further right for the Mix slider; move this down to get more dry and less reverb, that wet/dry mix can be huge

These tips apply to any reverb used in a Track slot.
If used in the AUX slot, things are different, but it sounds like you are in the track FX area from your original post.
Posted By: Bawb Re: Recording Vocals with Real Band 2020 - 02/25/20 10:52 AM
Thanks for the explanation of the buttons/knobs.
This helped a lot.

I know enough about music to figure some stuff out. But I guess that unless you've actually been in a band or around the industry, stuff like this will have somewhat of a learning curve...
Posted By: rharv Re: Recording Vocals with Real Band 2020 - 02/25/20 08:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Bawb
Thanks for the explanation of the buttons/knobs.
This helped a lot.

I know enough about music to figure some stuff out. But I guess that unless you've actually been in a band or around the industry, stuff like this will have somewhat of a learning curve...

Yep.
Most older members here asked these same questions when we were learning, and someone helped us. I'm just trying to pay it back.
As your learning curve gets smaller feel free to hang around and help.
smile

FWIW I still ask my share of questions, so I'm probably in the red still on the balance sheet.
Posted By: jford Re: Recording Vocals with Real Band 2020 - 02/26/20 01:09 AM
And, of course, it's your fault, rharv.
Posted By: rharv Re: Recording Vocals with Real Band 2020 - 02/26/20 08:44 PM
So I've heard ..
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: Recording Vocals with Real Band 2020 - 03/01/20 12:45 PM
that's a handy tip Matt, tried it and it seems a good starting point. the result so far is that if i bypass the fx after reducing it to half-ish or at least somewhat less, then with the track solo'd i can hear a difference when i kick it back in but it's a sonic improvement not an fx sound

it adds something but it's difficult to pin down. i did come across a quote once that said the best effects are the ones you can't hear!
Bawb from Aberdeen, NC. Middlesex, NC here...

So I never (or very rarely) put reverb on my tracks individually. I use busses in a DAW and quite often, the only reverb on the project is in the master buss. I use dry tracks into the busses. By using one reverb in the master buss, I have a more cohesive sound and it sounds like everything is in the same space. Putting verb on just vocals leaves the instruments dry and the voice wet and that sounds un-natural.

There are times and reasons I use reverb in a vocal buss but you always have to remember that reverbs in series like that are additive and you can very quickly have a "too wet" sound and wonder why. So when I have stacked reverbs in several busses, they are generally cut back more than if they were stand alone. And sometimes even that is too much. I have a number of bypassed or deleted reverbs in a bunch of projects.
© PG Music Forums