PG Music Home
Posted By: mrgeeze CD production Time. - 03/02/20 01:04 PM
Getting close.
This thread has been handled before. Couldn't find it on search.

Most of the tracks for my first CD are down to mastering output levels.
It won't be long.
Lots of work. A lot of stuff learned.

Now I'm Thinking about production.
Probably 100-200 CD units.

Not sure about streaming licensing, yet.

Looking at CD Baby/Easy Song Licensing to handle the job.
They seem to be able to handle the soup to nuts of the production.
CD has both originals and covers.

They may be a few $$ more than other approaches (Harry Fox/Walmart) but cdbaby/EasySong Licensing seems very convenient and well integrated.

Any opinions or alternatives I might consider?
Posted By: rharv Re: CD production Time. - 03/02/20 08:57 PM
I've no experience with the Easy Song Licensing service.
That said, a few of us older members found a similar online service years back, and it just disappeared a couple years later. It claimed to legally copyright your work for you .. and it jumped into my head when I saw this (it triggered something and I usually follow my gut).

Check ESL out good before going into business with them, just to be sure.
Just like this scenario, the now gone service I referenced was linked to from another reputable site, but that didn't matter when they disappeared.
The CDBaby link I found for ESL is a reference to a type of service, but I'm not sure I would consider it an endorsement.
Just a thought, in case you gave it credit because of the link.

Most of the people I know find the publisher (not that many to check) and handle it themselves so they know they are good.
/This is an online convenience for something that may one day be a legal matter. But that's just me
//we also copyright our work .. the good old fashion way after that learning experience

As far as CDBaby; I've been good with them for many years on various projects.
Posted By: railway mark Re: CD production Time. - 03/15/20 03:35 PM
I've used Discmakers, CDBaby, and Atomic Disc. My recommendation based on price and service is to use CDBaby for licensing and online distribution, and Atomic Disc for replication. Atomic Disc is a small company that does a great job for a great price on lower quantities. Best of luck!
Posted By: funkycornwall Re: CD production Time. - 03/16/20 03:27 PM
CDBaby are stopping their online CD distribution soon I believe. The CD market is also pretty dead I think apart from maybe selling to fans at gigs. With the current Covid virus situation I would think gigs are also pretty dead for the next few months at least.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: CD production Time. - 03/16/20 03:45 PM
Funkycornwall, yes, I posted about this last week.

It is my understanding that CD Baby is closing their retail front end only. They will not sell CDs but will continue to do the online distribution and accounting.
© PG Music Forums