PG Music Home
Many acoustic instruments use a piezo contact pickup to provide a direct out for recording. The problem is most of the time the resultant recording sounds like it was recorded using a piezo pickup. One solution is to use impulse response files. +++ HERE +++ is a forum post demonstrating a technique that can be used to change the guitar sound.
Good info, thanx for sharing.

Here is another article showing how to improve piezo contact guitar pickups sound:

https://www.harmonycentral.com/articles/guitars/better-sound-from-acoustic-guitar-piezo-pickups-r542/
Nice article Mario. Thanks for the share!
Hello to everyone at PG Music. Haven’t been around for awhile. I recently did a CD and the recording engineer didn’t have a clue. Some very costly mistakes were made. My experience with BiaB should have alerted me, but I let it go. Now I’m trying to salvage the project but editing the WAV files in RealBand. Does anyone have any input as to where I should begin? I am working with four musicians rendered to one track that were not panned properly. I’m hoping I can fix some things in mixing and mastering.
Any assistance appreciated.

Carolyne
Originally Posted By: Carolyne
Hello to everyone at PG Music. Haven’t been around for awhile. I recently did a CD and the recording engineer didn’t have a clue. Some very costly mistakes were made. My experience with BiaB should have alerted me, but I let it go. Now I’m trying to salvage the project but editing the WAV files in RealBand. Does anyone have any input as to where I should begin? I am working with four musicians rendered to one track that were not panned properly. I’m hoping I can fix some things in mixing and mastering.
Any assistance appreciated.

Carolyne

Carolyne,

Just so we understand, do you only have the rendered WAV file to work with or do you still have the individual stems? (Might be best to start a new thread for this subject)
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Many acoustic instruments use a piezo contact pickup to provide a direct out for recording. The problem is most of the time the resultant recording sounds like it was recorded using a piezo pickup. One solution is to use impulse response files. +++ HERE +++ is a forum post demonstrating a technique that can be used to change the guitar sound.

That is a very impressive demo!

My latest upload on the showcase features an acoustic plugged in direct (piezo pickup), I'm not setup to record with mics here.

To get it sounding half decent I used a similar set of EQ curves that were in the article Mario pointed to, and also added some additional reverb/delay. It sounds fairly decent IMHO but not as good as the one using the IR's.

In the demo they are loading the IR's (which are very reasonably priced) via TH3, but when I look at that it is quite expensive (almost $400) Are there other options?

EDIT: Never mind, just didn't look far enough, I see they have their own impulse loader, only $20. I'm going to download the demo and play with it a bit.
While I don’t use IR I have done a very detailed EQ for both of my acoustic guitars mic vs direct pup sounds and have made ‘difference’ EQs for each in my Zoom G5. Very worth the effort.

I used to have comparisons on my soundcloud but pulled them off awhile back.
© PG Music Forums