PG Music Home
I'm working with a BIAB style that has a MIDI fretless bass. It sounds pretty good, so I render it as .wav. However, when I drag it into my DAW, it comes across as stereo. Is there a way to force BIAB to render that .wav track as mono? This doesn't happen with bass Real Tracks.

Rendering it as MIDI is one solution. However, I don't have a MIDI fretless bass sound that is adequate.
The sound is whatever sound engine you have set as the default midi sound engine in Band-in-a-Box. If BiaB is using a stereo patch the audio output is stereo while if BiaB is using a mono patch the audio output will be mono. I haven't found a way to convert a file from stereo to mono in Band-in-a-Box. RealBand has commands to convert two mono tracks to stereo or a stereo to two mono tracks but nothing to combine stereo to mono.

I'm not saying this is the only way but I'd export the bass track knowing it will be stereo in this case and then use a wave editor to convert stereo to mono.

I use Audacity for tasks like that. There is a command just to perform that task

Description: Audacity stereo to mono command.
Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg

Description: RealBand track options.
Attached picture Clipboard02.jpg
I agree. Convert in your DAW.
In RB there is yet another way.
Merge the track to compressed file.
Solo the track then use the above command so you only get that track in the end result.

When asked for a file type - pick PCM MONO, and you get a 16/44 MONO track as the end result.

.. not sure if BiaB has this also.

And yet another way to try (a little more complicated but should give you a MONO track in RB ..).

Set a Blank track as MONO. (important)
Select the desired source track (or tracks)

Then, in Charlie's image, up about a dozen options is a 'Merge' selection.
This looks like it will be something you already know about, but clicking this reveals a way to merge tracks in your RB project to a single RB track.
If the target track is MONO, going from memory, RB asks if you want to make it a stereo track .. say no and you end up with a new MONO audio track without ever leaving RB.

Attached picture RB_mergeSimple.jpg
© PG Music Forums