PG Music Home
Posted By: Jim Fogle + MIDI To CSV Spreadsheet + - 04/12/20 12:03 PM
MIDI is data. Spreadsheets display and manipulate data. +++ HERE +++ are programs that convert MIDI files to CSV files, run in a spreadsheet program to manipulate the data in a musical manner and convert CSV files to MIDI files.

The programs
Quote:
translate MIDI music files into a human- and computer-readable CSV (Comma-Separated Value) format, suitable for manipulation by spreadsheet, database, or text processing utilities, and re-encode processed CSV files into MIDI. No information is lost in transforming a MIDI file to CSV and back

Quote:
The midicsv and csvmidi programs allow you to use text processing tools to transform MIDI files or create them from scratch. midicsv converts a MIDI file into a Comma-Separated Value (CSV) text file, preserving all the information in the original MIDI file. The format of the CSV file is deliberately designed to facilitate processing by text manipulation tools. The csvmidi program reads CSV files in this format and creates an equivalent MIDI file. Processing a MIDI file through midicsv and then csvmidi will result in a completely equivalent (although, for technical reasons relating to options in MIDI file compression, not necessarily byte-for-byte identical) MIDI file.
Posted By: Teunis Re: + MIDI To CSV Spreadsheet + - 04/12/20 06:38 PM
Hi Jim, I found the little script above somewhat confusing to use. In Cakewalk at least it was very simple to Print the file to PDF then convert it to text for manipulation.

The trick was to get Cakewalk to print.

From the event list <cntr> <p> should do it.

The current manual is Is poorly written.

So here is what I wrote on the Cakewalk Forum regarding the manual.

Ok there is a correct method I found in the olde Sonar X2 book by Scott R Garrigus.   It seems you undock the Event List then you click in the Top Left Corner and tell the window not to float.  That then opens up the print options.  Although the <cntrl><p> in the screen did the trick.  

Tony
© PG Music Forums