PG Music Home
Posted By: pete byrnes audio interface for PC - 05/05/20 02:45 PM
Looking for recommendations for an audio interface for my PC so I can record with B in B / Real band. Looking for both low impedance microphone input + ability to plug guitar in directly or with a pedal.
thx
Posted By: rharv Re: audio interface for PC - 05/05/20 06:33 PM
What's your budget?

Some of us here use Focusrite 18i20 and are happy with it..
8 inputs (and outs), the first 2 can be used for direct guitar connection, all of them can handle line level output of your effect/amp or low impedance mic. Also has 48V available .. so can handle just about any input.

There are lower price versions with less in/outs if you don't need that much.

Link below is to a Second Generation version (which I have).
Third generation is $160 more .. not sure I see that much difference between the two.
If you go to the link, you can click 'Focusrite - USB interfaces' in the menu to see other offerings.

https://store.focusrite.com/en-gb/product/scarlett-18i20-2nd-gen/MOSC0015UKEU~MOSC0015UKEU
Posted By: pete byrnes Re: audio interface for PC - 05/05/20 06:59 PM
thank you. Will probably go with the smaller unit as I don't need all of the inputs.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: audio interface for PC - 05/05/20 07:14 PM
I use several Focusrite Scarlett units including a 4i4 which has the same quality mic preamps as my 18i20. They work well.
Posted By: pete byrnes Re: audio interface for PC - 05/05/20 09:23 PM
thanks so much
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: audio interface for PC - 05/15/20 09:19 PM
steinberg ur series.
unbeata ble imo.
Posted By: Tobias Re: audio interface for PC - 05/19/20 01:06 AM
I've been using a Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD for several years trouble free.
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: audio interface for PC - 05/20/20 03:25 PM
another vote for the Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD. its simple to use and the sound is good (I replaced a presonus unit that was too noisy)

it works well with my SM58 but these days i use a condenser mic as the unit also has phantom power (i think they all do so that's not a sales point)

just plugs into usb, works flawlessly and is simple to use
Posted By: TheMaartian Re: audio interface for PC - 05/20/20 05:10 PM
Concern #1: Drivers

You didn't mention your system specs, so I would suggest that you pick a couple/three options in your price range, and then Google each audio interface's driver with your specs. Look for stability and latency (lower is better).

Example Google search phrase:

review Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD Windows 10 drivers

Concern #2: Phantom Power

Low I/O count interfaces tend to be buss (USB) powered. It's been awhile, so new tech might have eliminated the issue, but I have heard of some devices having issues when trying to phantom power 2 condenser mics off of USB power.

I made sure that the interface I bought had a separate power supply input, even if it didn't come with the wall wart PS.

Concern #3: Freebie software that comes with the audio interface

Great! Free software! Just don't let the specific freebies sway your decision. Driver stability/quality and interface hardware quality are WAY more important.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: audio interface for PC - 05/21/20 11:40 AM
I highly recommend FOCUSRITE. Presonus and MAudio are also decent and very easy to use.

Things to look for in your choice.

1. Be sure it uses native ASIO and not wrappers and proprietary codecs.
2. Be sure it has both low and high impedance inputs.
3. Be sure it has phantom power for condenser mics.
4. Select the number if inputs and outputs you will need. Note: unless you record live bands, most home studios are just fine with 2 inputs. (stereo)
5. It should have a USB connection to the computer. Earlier models such as mine were firewire connected and the chipset had to be compatible or else glitches occurred.
6. Avoid those 2 in one multi-device contraptions. Those things are gimmicks and can be problematic when trying to work with them.

Aside from that.... find the one that fits your needs and get it. For a new one, budget around $250 and you should be able to get something that works well and you will be happy.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: audio interface for PC - 05/24/20 01:41 PM
If you have an older external midi instrument such as a keyboard, drum machine, wind or guitar controller you would benefit by looking for an audio interface that includes midi five pin in and out connectors. That empties a USB port that would otherwise be filled by a USB to midi cable.
Posted By: lambada Re: audio interface for PC - 05/26/20 10:55 AM
I use a Zoom UAC-2 and love it. I also sometimes plug in my Zoom Q8 Video recorder as an interface.
© PG Music Forums