PG Music Home
Posted By: Jim Fogle ~ Open Broadcaster Software ~ - 05/24/20 01:24 PM
If you are interested in video recording or live streaming you may find +++ Open Broadcaster Software or OBS +++ useful. OBS Studio is software designed for capturing, compositing, encoding, recording, and streaming video content, efficiently.

With OBS you can:
  • Create scenes made up of multiple sources including window captures, images, text, browser windows, webcams, capture cards and more.
  • Set up an unlimited number of scenes you can switch between seamlessly via custom transitions.
  • Powerful and easy to use configuration options. Add new Sources, duplicate existing ones, and adjust their properties effortlessly.
  • Use the intuitive audio mixer with per-source filters such as noise gate, noise suppression, and gain. Take full control with VST plugin support.
  • Choose from a number of different and customizable transitions for when you switch between your scenes or add your own stinger video files.
  • Set hotkeys for nearly every sort of action like switching between scenes, starting/stopping streams or recordings, muting audio sources, push to talk and more.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: ~ Open Broadcaster Software ~ - 05/24/20 03:53 PM
Thanks. Yes, I've been experimenting with this. It was recommended by a group I'm in that is made up of composers of big band music. My goal is to make a video of my scores playing, so people can hear and see the demo, then sell the sheet music. Up to now, I've only made MP3 audio demos.

Pretty sure this is 32-bit software, but that makes it more usable by those who have an older OS.

Posted By: edshaw Re: ~ Open Broadcaster Software ~ - 05/24/20 07:36 PM
I've been hitting the turorials up pretty good on YT, Matt. Here's and excellent coach with a good explanation of split screen with OBS if you haven't seen him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aISYDjLtJF8
If your rig can handle 1920X1080, the scores ought to be plenty readable. I stay with 720p out of force of habit and to remain cool.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: ~ Open Broadcaster Software ~ - 05/25/20 02:40 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
snip ... Pretty sure this is 32-bit software

Matt, the software is available as 32 or 64 bit download for Windows, Mac and Linux operating systems.

Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: ~ Open Broadcaster Software ~ - 05/25/20 07:25 PM
THanks, you're absolutely right. It has a desktop icon that sorts with the 32-bit apps, but the installer I used said 64-bit. Good to know.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: ~ Open Broadcaster Software ~ - 05/26/20 12:01 AM
on Windows, to make this work correctly, you will need an audio interface that has 'loopback' capability - if you are live streaming.

My Focusrite 18i8 1st gen does not have this.

I've tried an audio loopback, taking mains out to a couple of inputs - static and crackling.

Or, you can deal with 25ms latency - which is unusable to me. I've been in the OBS forums, the Focusrite FB user group, etc. trying to solve this problem. I've tried every ASIO router add-on, can't get it to work without the major latency issues.

The ASIO plugin for OBS (there is one) will only see your interface's inputs, not it's outputs. So if you are using any processing in your DAW, any soft instruments, etc., you need a way to route them back to an input - or an old-school SB Live card with 'what you hear' option.

-Scott
© PG Music Forums