PG Music Home
Posted By: Slaterk Adjusting MP3 sample rate when exporting - 07/13/20 03:34 AM
I have BIAB 2020 and when I 'Save Special' to MP3 format the file is quite large (About 7mb for a 1.42 minute song. My mail server will not allow this size attachment to be added to an email. I'm thinking I'd like to adjust down the sample rate to reduce the file size but I don't know how. Searched the manual to no avail. Suggestions?
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Adjusting MP3 sample rate when exporting - 07/13/20 06:48 AM
I haven't used the MP3 compressor for a long time. I tend to save as wma these days (that's Window audio) and it's the same format that PG Music use for Realtracks.

Using wma reduces the file size to around 1/10th of it's original size. A 1.42 minute file would end up around 1.5 MB, I think.

Is there any reason that you have to use mp3?

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Teunis Re: Adjusting MP3 sample rate when exporting - 07/13/20 09:44 AM
Noel, are you saying that wma is far smaller than MP3?

The figures quoted look as if the file might be MP3 at 320kbs Maybe cutting it to 128kbs or 192kbs will reduce the size but it will increase the losses.

The advantage to MP3 is it will be supported by many more devices. As I understood it.

Just a thought.

Posted By: Noel96 Re: Adjusting MP3 sample rate when exporting - 07/13/20 11:41 AM
Hi Tony,

From what I can tell, wma files and mp3 files at 128kbps and 44.1kHz (44,100 Hz) are about the same size. It does sound like the user is saving mp3s at 320kbps.

I should have mentioned this in the post but I was racing at the time and didn't come back to it.

I'm glad you picked it up.

Inspired by you, I've just discovered that BIAB automatically saves at 320kbps when using "File | Save Special | Save as mp3"

I'm continue in the next post and explain how to adjust the settings.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Adjusting MP3 sample rate when exporting - 07/13/20 11:51 AM
Hi again, Tony.

Here is the way to vary the mp3 settings these days...

1. select "Audio" (#1 on image below)

2. select "Export song as audio" (#2)

3. set all the settings shown by #3 that I have (including the "Normalise" option)

4. if you want the two bar intro and drum count-in leave the check boxes (#4) selected, other wise deselect.

5. select "Render" (#5) to create the mp3

I hope this helps the original poster.

Regards,
Noel

P.S. Thank you for reminding me to come back to this. I sincerely appreciate it. (I'll add this to Tips and Tricks tomorrow.)

Attached picture adjusting kbps and kHz for mp3.jpg
So I use the free Wavepad from NCH to do my MP3 conversions. I export a wave from my final mix and use the NCH Wavepad to convert it. It always asks what resolution or bit rate I want to use.

7mb is rather large for a song under 2 minutes. That's got to be higher than 320kbs. I can stay under 10mb up to close to 4 minutes and still use 320kbs resolution.

Personally, I'd be switching to a different mail server that allows larger attachments.

Another good option is DropBox or Wetransfer dot com.... both allow you to send and share large files man hundreds of MB in size. I have used dropbox when working with collaborators for sharing waves. Also used We transfer for the same purpose.
© PG Music Forums