PG Music Home
Posted By: Tano Music Uncentered audio track - 08/04/20 10:38 AM
I have a "bad habit" of sometimes singing slightly off-center of my mic (due to the physical setup of my desktop studio). I'm looking for a convenient way to "re-center" my track--is there a way to do this? I use RB as my DAW and use Audacity for touchups after my mix. Thanks.

Also--how do you attach a picture, like a screenshot, to a message on this forum? Thx.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Uncentered audio track - 08/04/20 11:25 AM
How you sing into your microphone should have no bearing on where your vocal sits in your mix. That is a function of the track in your DAW. If it is centered, you could sing turned 90 degrees from your microphone if you choose to (and it would remain centered in your mix).

To add a picture use the "Switch to Full Reply Screen" button.
(An original post should put you there already)
Then click on "File Manager" at the bottom. (mine is a very faint blue - so "active")
Click on "Browse" to find a picture on your computer.
Then click the "Add" button.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Uncentered audio track - 08/04/20 01:53 PM
floyd nailed it and even if your vocal track was recorded in “stereo“ via one mic or converted to same afterwards the left and right sides would be identical irrespective of your position relative to the mic.

Bud
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Uncentered audio track - 08/04/20 09:26 PM
The track you send me recently was a stereo file. You'll notice it came back to you as a mono track.

When you set up your inputs, don't select stereo unless you actually have 2 mics connected properly. I always select the LEFT Saffire audio input. It doesn't matter left or right, just pick one and that's the input you should have your mic in. Your software should automatically put the audio dead center of the track. It doesn't matter how you sit or approach the mic.... it's all going to the input to the track centered.

Note: You can hang upside down when you sing if you want to reverse the phase on the track..... just kidding.
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Uncentered audio track - 10/05/20 08:09 PM
In Band-in-a-Box, you can go to the Audio menu and choose Edit Audio > Convert Channels. This can convert your uncentered stereo track to a centered mono track.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Uncentered audio track - 11/05/20 03:54 PM
Another option for studio one users is the binaural pan plugin just add it to the track and click the mono button. I’m sure most DAWs have one of these type toys
© PG Music Forums