PG Music Home
I am strongly considering picking up Melodyne 5 Editor version--at least I think that's the one. It's the second highest version, and the one where editing polyphony becomes possible. Before I sell the kids' beds, toys, and shoes, and put them on a rice and water diet for a few months, I'd like to gauge some reactions from current users.

1. How would you rate the learning curve compared to like BIAB? Are all or most user functions available by mouse? I don't mind a few hotkey options, but I was raised by mice and feel attachment.

2. What alternative scales/modes are available in the editing function (moving notes to scale positions)? This is a biggie for me, as harmonizing to different modes and scales has become my favorite thing to do musically, and I can't move melody notes by ear or "theory".

3. Sweetwater has it at a price significantly lower than listed on the Celemony sales site. Will I get the same thing if I'm using Sweetwater? It will come down to a choice between the two, as I don't want to open more accounts, etc, etc. blah, blah.

4. Does it seem to integrate well as a VST in Reaper? Work and play well with BIAB? If I run it stand-alone, will it recognize my Scarlett unit as the "sound-card"?

5. Do you feel an urge to try to talk me out of it now that you've made the splurge and regretted it?

Thank you for your kind attention.
Posted By: DrDan Re: A few questions for Melodyne 5 users. - 08/07/20 03:03 PM
Wow, that is a lot of questions.

I can start, and in reverse order:

#5 I upgraded from Melodyne Assistant V4 to Assistant V5 and I don't regret it for a minute, the workflow continues to improve with each version and the new chord feature is a welcome addition. There were very good sale prices several months back. Don't know if they are still on.

#4 Melodyne in Reaper is full ARA meaning it is a pleasure to work with. While I have used the standalone version in the past for editing (prior to ARA there were times when it was necessary cause in early days it was at times buggy in the DAW). However, in resent years I use it exclusively in Reaper. I have never recorded into the Standalone - never a reason to do that.

#3 I always first go to Sweetwater if it is available there. Highly recommend this vendor. I got my V5 upgrade there.

#2 Can't say much about this as this is not what I use it for. In my case I only tweek my vocals to fix the bad notes I sing. For this there is nothing better except to sing the correct notes to begin with.

#1 Much much easier to work with. I am sure there may be some features which I wish I understood better, but for the most part it was plug and play for me.
Posted By: sslechta Re: A few questions for Melodyne 5 users. - 08/07/20 03:40 PM
I actually upgraded from Editor to Studio in version 4 because I wanted it all! smile

As an add-on to #3, I purchase all my software through Sweetwater too but you'll also need to register it at the Celemony site as you do with most software vendors. So regardless of where you buy, you still need to register.

It's fairly easy to learn as long as you have the time to do it. Features are awesome, some of zooming and dragging is a little awkward for me but I love it.

One cool thing I've successfully done in the past is use Melodyne to convert some bad sounding drums I recorded and convert them to MIDI notes. I was then able to use a MIDI triggered drum kit (Superior Drummer) to mix in with the bad drums to almost completely replace them.
I have V5 editor, upgraded from V4 assistant. I also use reaper.

The editor version with the ability to tune chords is brilliant! I've used it to change chord voicings in realtracks, and also to tune my own rhythm guitar tracks to compensate for intonation issues.

Another thing I've used it for a couple of times is to change the feel of a realtrack bass part from swing to straight.

One of the great new features with V5 is the sibilance balance tool, works better than any de-esser I have ever tried.

Dan answered all your questions except for 2, which I also don't know the answer to, I never tune to a scale.

But, I think they offer a fully functional demo, why not try it and see if it works for you?
I admire the willingness y’all and other members have to learn and make great use of the latest. For me switching late from analog to a DAW, learning a bit about BiaB and exploring new genres taxed my old brain to the max. Carry on!

Bud
Posted By: MarioD Re: A few questions for Melodyne 5 users. - 08/08/20 10:33 AM
I never tune to a scale either but here is some information on it.

" The world of scales and tunings

Melodyne allows you to work with whatever scales and tunings you like, including exotic or experimental ones. Unusual scale structures and irregular tuning are often important musical parameters that ought not to be ironed out. For this reason, Melodyne supports every conceivable scale or tuning system, allowing you to handle the nuances of each musical genre with sensitivity.
You can also define and edit scales and tuning systems, as well as analyze those found in existing audio material."
Posted By: Tangmo Re: A few questions for Melodyne 5 users. - 08/09/20 10:00 PM
Thanks, all. Very helpful. I've downloaded the free trial and will try to work my way through this for whatever part of 30 days is necessary.

I am a little disturbed at how little regard you all seem to have for my children, however.
I have Melodyne 5 Studio. When it's the right tool, nothing else will do. With all of the online music making I'm doing nowadays, it's the pitch tool that I use over 50% of the time.

My DAW of choice is Digital Performer though I have others including Logic. If I need to change a few notes in a track, DP's pitch tool is a godsend.

For changing the pitch of an entire track, ztx is far better and sounds more natural. I can use it in stand-alone or the version integrated in DP.

For special effects, IRCAM Labs TS (Time Stretch) can't be beat and is on sale for $49. It sounds more natural than Melodyne and less so than ztx.
IRCAM TS2

ztx is found in a number of apps including DP an some from PSP. When I want to use a stand-alone version, I'll use TwistedWave. Mac only.
TwistedWave

I use AutoTune when a client requests or wants a special effect that is best done in AT. Not very often anymore but I make more than enough to keep it up to date. Clients like knowing I have the full suite even if I rarely use it.

The pitch tool in Izotope Nectar Elements used to be my go to for vocalists who drift now and then but these days, I'm more likely to use Melodyne.

You couldn't pay me to use or recommend Reaper. I like apps with actual tech support; user groups are no substitute. "full ARA" saves a few minutes and that's all it does. Logic supports ARA if I need it — but I never do.
I use the v5 Editor version. I’ve owned the Editor version for a number of years now and upgraded to v5 when it came out. For my use I could not justify the Studio version. I tend to use it mostly to convert audio to midi and make some adjustments. I don’t record voice any longer.

It fits very nicely into Reaper.

I find Melodyne does take some learning. However Celemony has good video tutorials and better yet is Groove 3 which has a couple of good Melodyne training videos.

Tony
© PG Music Forums