PG Music Home
Posted By: goofeyfoot Inserting Signature Licks - 08/11/20 05:24 PM
I’d like to ask a question about making karaoke tracks.

I’m trying to make karaoke tracks for my sister who sings the songs in her shows.

Many times I find the correct
Style in BIOB, but something is missing. Many popular songs have signature licks in them that really define the song with audiences.

So for example I’m working on an Elvin Bishop song that has sort of a Blueberry Hill Style to it. There are Styles that will work for that.

However, there are characteristic stabs used in the song that need to be in the breaks for the song to sound like the real McCoy.

What is the best way to insert those licks? Do you have to write something in midi to make that happen? Or do you have to perform it on a real instrument or something?

Thanks.

Michael
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Inserting Signature Licks - 08/11/20 08:13 PM
Using midi karaoke .kar might be a way as you get the lyrics and the licks or try this
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=605070
works good at removing the vocals.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Inserting Signature Licks - 08/12/20 07:36 AM
<< Do you have to write something in midi to make that happen? >>

No. You can but according to the midi instrument patch, the part may not sound realistic. Unless the performance sounds realistic, I don't recommend this option.

<< Or do you have to perform it on a real instrument or something?>>

Yes, it's best to be a live performance but you do not have to perform it. There are multiple ways to get live performance signature licks. regardless where you source the performance, first, accurately determine the style, key signature and tempo of the song you are making the karaoke track for your sister. I suggest posting a request in the User Wish List Forum here on the BIAB Forum for a forum member to perform the part for you, for fee or free as determined by you and the performer. They will create a User Performance Track for you. Import the audio file they perform for you and move the audio track to a Performance Track on another BIAB Mixer Channel.

. Did you know you within your BIAB program you can easily provide a BIAB user with your song's SGU file, Style, .stx file and any other necessary file so they can collaborate with you on your song sharing the exact chord chart, style and even RealTrack instruments or live performance you've already tracked into the song? If you find a BIAB user willing to perform the part for you, they can access your song with all the BIAB pieces in place or do it from an MP3 file of your karaoke song. (See Image below from the BIAB Help File)

. Render an MP3 of your karaoke song and use Fivrr or a local player to provide your signature lick.

. Source the signature lick on YouTube, Spotify, IToons,or any other media source and sample the signature lick. Punch in the sample every where its needed using the BIAB Audio Channel and Audio Editor.

<< What is the best way to insert those licks? >> Sample it if you can locate an isolated sound of the signature lick.

Attached picture email.JPG
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Inserting Signature Licks - 08/12/20 02:55 PM
Yep.... you have to play it in with a real instrument or a midi instrument.

I recorded a version of Southern Nights for a fellow several years ago. That song has an instantly recognizable lick, that without it, the song isn't Southern Nights.

I had to use both live guitar as well as midi to get it into the song in the right places. Use a DAW and its an easy thing to do. Lots of songs fit that same pattern. Most of the popular rock songs had that signature lick and you could "Name that Tune" in the first 3 seconds of the song because if it.
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: Inserting Signature Licks - 08/14/20 01:19 PM
pro level karaoke tracks are available on the internet quite cheaply. not only do they have the signature licks but the various parts - bass horns, piano drums etc are 'clones' of the recording closer than you'll ever get with BIAB.

quick example is satisfaction by the stones. put the chords into BIAB choose a close style and then put the three note riff in but you still won't have a proper track for satisfaction.

i played covers for many years using BIAB and PowerTracks but even when signature licks had been played in the songs were very much 'our version'.

maybe that's what you are after but with pro level midi karaoke tracks for a few pounds each depends how accurate you want to be and how hard you want to work.

and don't forget you can often find midi tracks uploaded by talented people that do the hard work for you - and for free. just google the midi track you want. some are amazing and some are appalling but its worth trying.
© PG Music Forums