PG Music Home
Posted By: mrgeeze Logic Pro and IPAD control surface - 08/13/20 11:30 AM
Pretty good video on why you may already own a decent automation/mix surface

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4Lu5ZTOB-k
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Logic Pro and IPAD control surface - 08/16/20 02:12 AM
Yeah, iPads can control lots of music apps but not Biab or RB. We've been requesting that for years or at least some kind of control surface but so far, nada.

Bob
Posted By: mrgeeze Re: Logic Pro and IPAD control surface - 08/16/20 01:37 PM
Over the years I tried the IOS app for BIAB 3 or 4 times.
When it first came out I thought it might be something.
I was disappointed.

Its always seemed like a bit of "look what we can do" code without any real user purpose/benefit.
Perhaps Marketing decided "we gotta have an IOS app" and development gave it to the team they most wanted to punish. Seen that, done that, had that done to me.

I don't even look at the BIAB IOS app anymore
Posted By: rharv Re: Logic Pro and IPAD control surface - 08/16/20 02:13 PM
I don't think the mobile app is even available anymore .. or at least I can't find it in the Play Store.

I do have the Realband Android app, and it works great for some things.
Example, being able to trigger record, play, etc while over by the amp I am recording from. I imagine for drummers even better. They can be seated and hit record, rewind, etc.

Since it is abandoned now (apparently) I should probably make sure I have the app install file stashed somewhere for the future.
Thankfully they left the BiaB server executable file in recent installs also.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Logic Pro and IPAD control surface - 08/16/20 03:25 PM
I would like to see this topic revisited by the developers. There is so much potential.

I use my iPad and my desktop interchangeably to write music notation. Being able to do this with BIAB would be fabulous. And using a tablet for as little as transport control is handy in this age of making video recordings at home. Having mixer controls on the tablet would be terrific.

BIAB used to support the Frontier Design Tranzport, long since abandoned, so they know the concept. For a decade I have requested BIAB support for the Mackie Control Unit standard. Tablets like the iPad made those units almost obsolete outside of recording studios.
Posted By: rharv Re: Logic Pro and IPAD control surface - 08/16/20 04:03 PM
We used to have such things, but apparently there was not enough demand to support it.

I know Apple and Google stores have forced programmers to update any available apps a lot recently (like once a year it seems), so it is a fair amount of maintenance .. just checked and RB transport seems to still function, as does mixer from what I can tell. Sliders on my phone app still move the desktop sliders. Guess its a grandfathered thing at this point. frown

Actually, I found these links by Googling - https://apps.apple.com/us/app/realband-remote/id580715152
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/bb-remote/id447841206

Attached picture RB_App.png
© PG Music Forums