PG Music Home
Posted By: Tangmo Latency issues recording in Reaper - 08/31/20 01:02 AM
I'm using a focusrite scarlett solo usb interface. It is essentially my "soundcard" and installed PnP with no issues and has worked well (except for rare driver drop-outs easily corrected).

However, when attempting to record in Reaper (something I have never done yet), there is a serious lag between sound entry and hearing my vocals in the headphone monitors--something in the area of a second or maybe even two. I expect such a lag would be in the recording as well, but I haven't tested that out.

I am guessing there is some setting I have not set correctly, even though Reaper recognizes my Scarlett solo as the audio input device. But I don't know WHAT settings, nor if they are settings for the Scarlett in Windows 10 or settings in Reaper.

In either case, I am at a loss as to where to look, what to look for, and what (if anything) to change--not in Windows 10 and not in Reaper.

If you have a clue, please go easy with me on the techno-babble. I'm barely a musician and not at all a technician.

The computer is almost new and should be powerful/fast enough to handle what I'm throwing at it. I've recorded on 1/4 this machine without issues.

Life rarely allows me to do anything easily the first time, so this is what it is. I hope I can easily remedy this and record as easily as I once did in Acid Pro. Frustration levels are high, and I'm not going to fight this forever. Nobody wants to hear me sing any more than I do.

ps. Please don't get me started on trying to record in BIAB. I can't seem to even get so far as sending a signal there.

Posted By: Teunis Re: Latency issues recording in Reaper - 08/31/20 03:17 AM
I don’t use a Focusrite interface but make sure you have ASIO set as the Reaper Audio Preference. (Options = Preferences = Device).

Also do not have a heap of plugins loaded. For example, Ozone will cause a huge amount of latency but then again why have it until after recording.

Just a thought

Tony
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Latency issues recording in Reaper - 08/31/20 06:17 AM
Hi Tangmo,

Check what ASIO latency your card is set at. (I have an old Creative card that I usually run around 10 - 20 ms latency.)

Then, in Reaper, go to "Options | Preferences" and select "Audio | Recording" and then make sure the option I've labelled #3 is active.

Hope this helps,
Noel

Attached picture recording latency setting.JPG
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Latency issues recording in Reaper - 08/31/20 06:34 AM
I use a Focusrite here, Scarlett 2i4, and also use Reaper.

I have no latency when recording guitar parts, but I also record them dry, i.e. no FX on the track. I add the FX after the track has been recorded. I think, but don't know for sure, if I attempted to record and also add FX at the same time I would get latency, could that be your problem?

I also monitor using the headphone jack on my 2i4.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Latency issues recording in Reaper - 08/31/20 02:17 PM
RAM?
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Latency issues recording in Reaper - 08/31/20 05:31 PM
The only thing loaded were the BiaB tracks. No Effects. I have 8 G RAM.

Noel, that option was checked, but I unchecked it and checked it again and applied that change.

Teunis, done. I'll check all this out later, but the last I tried, I could arm a track for recording, but when I pressed record, no progress was shown.
Posted By: rharv Re: Latency issues recording in Reaper - 08/31/20 06:58 PM
I have a 2i2 I use to carry around when needed.
We also have a couple 18i20s when in our usual locations.
Make sure, as Teunis noted, to have the ASIO driver for the Focusrite selected.
If that causes other problems, it's OK, those are fixable too. Stick to it & proceed down the path of getting it set up right, you'll be happier in the long run.

Also make sure your monitors or headphones are using the Focusrite out, not the computer out.
That physical connection on the computer is tied to system drivers that will cause this problem. Even though Reaper may show correct drivers, as soon as you connect to the internal card you've introduced a likely problem. OS routing won't show in Reaper.
In this scenario, Reaper would be sending a proper signal back to the Focusrite, but the OS has tapped it along the way and is adding latency from the onboard device drivers. Eliminate those.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Latency issues recording in Reaper - 08/31/20 08:57 PM
Headphones are plugged into the appropriate jack on the Scarlett and have been since I installed it.

Does the "direct monitor" switch position have anything to do with this...and where should it be when I'm trying to record and listen to backing (and to my vocals).
Posted By: rharv Re: Latency issues recording in Reaper - 09/01/20 08:39 AM
Direct Monitor should be on. You want to hear your voice immediately ...
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Latency issues recording in Reaper - 09/06/20 08:15 AM
You may have come across this already. Just in case you haven't though...

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207546025-Reaper-setup-guide
Posted By: olemon Re: Latency issues recording in Reaper - 09/06/20 08:35 AM
Yes. Direct Monitoring avoids the delay caused by latency.

Here's another Reaper video that may help. I believe your interface is mentioned at 5:35.

Direct Monitoring
© PG Music Forums