PG Music Home
Posted By: olemon Mixing & Mastering for other Forum Members - 09/05/20 10:44 AM
Lately I've been curious as to whether other forum members are mixing/mastering/producing music for each other.

Is anyone doing that or thinking about doing that?

Sometimes I'll hear a song in the Showcase and wish I could have given it a go. I suspect the same is true for the songs I post.

I've recorded and produced a whopping two songs for other people. One was for a friend - we recorded his vocal and acoustic guitar and I added/edited RT's and produced the song. For the second one I did everything, vocals included, and I got paid.

I have mixed a few songs for the fun of it from Mike Senior's web site Mixing Secrets

I have sent one mix to a professional mastering engineer, but never to another forum member.

Okay, enough rambling. I'm all ears.

Scott

It's not a bad idea.

Using a fresh pair of ears, providing those are experienced and accurate ears, can be really helpful. Another plus is time. Having a little time away from a mix is a good idea, and this plan guarantees that. Find someone knowledgeable in the general genre you play.
In the past, I've done mixes for a few folks - Critter, Curt Young, Joanne.
Not something that I would care to make a habit of - I am almost ALWAYS working on music - writing or producing - so doing it for someone else "gets in the way" of that. Mixing someone else's music takes more time than doing your own, I think...and can be time-consuming.
I "mastered" something for Lawrence (gruverider) - which was little more than running one of his mixes through some Ozone presets in order to convince him he should buy it (which he did).
I've done productions for folks in other music forums using BIAB tracks - or generated some BIAB tracks to add to their songs - in order to convince them they should buy BIAB...Most of them have - how could you not??!!??

I think it is a good idea to send your mixes to someone else to listen to before you "release" it. Someone whose ears you trust to offer any "tweaks" that might be needed. Janice & Bud hear most of my stuff before it hits the fan. I've turned to Tom Adams a couple of times for a listen. Ears I trust.
Posted By: rharv Re: Mixing & Mastering for other Forum Members - 09/05/20 03:11 PM
I've done this many times for various forum members .. and others.
I'd encourage it. It's both fun and a beneficial learning experience.
Thanks for the shoutout floyd. Quite the compliment given that we’ve learned so much from you and continue to do so. And we appreciate the ear you lend to so many of our efforts.

I suspect we spend considerably less time on producing music than most forum members but we listen to it constantly. A large part of our retirement life is mountain biking and building/maintaining trails. And that activity is a good source for song ideas. I agree with floyd regarding mixing another’s song. For us the mix is often more time consuming than the write and arrangement. And, at least for us, mixing another’s tune would require a LOT of communication particularly if you didn’t know the artist well and his or her’s notions on a mix. I would assuredly leave that to the pros. The closest we would come to this would be the “back and forth” that takes place with our collaborators on the forum but having said that we don’t actually mix for one another.

Strictly our thoughts as I’m sure there are a lot of folks who do this and do it well.

J&B
© PG Music Forums