PG Music Home
Posted By: pghboemike sampling history - 09/22/20 06:03 PM
Posted By: MarioD Re: sampling history - 09/22/20 08:48 PM
This was full of facts that I didn't know, like The Beatles used sampling!

Thanx for sharing.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: sampling history - 09/23/20 10:33 AM
Great video - I've always had a deep appreciation for well executed sampling, strong emphasis on well executed.

Like Mario said - The Beatles incorporating sampling is news to me! Good find, thanks for sharing.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: sampling history - 09/24/20 12:50 AM
Of course the Beatles used sampling of tape. Nonetheless it was the same concept

For those interested, over the weekend I scored a pristine no scratches copy of De La Soul’s “Three Feet High and Rising”, considered to be one of the pinnacle’s if not THE pinnacle of the use of sampling in hip hop.

Paid $0.49 plus tax

It is a masterpiece.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: sampling history - 09/24/20 10:14 AM
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
Of course the Beatles used sampling of tape. Nonetheless it was the same concept

For those interested, over the weekend I scored a pristine no scratches copy of De La Soul’s “Three Feet High and Rising”, considered to be one of the pinnacle’s if not THE pinnacle of the use of sampling in hip hop.

Paid $0.49 plus tax

It is a masterpiece.

Wow, never thought I'd see De La Soul get the spotlight on these forums. You are right - that is a phenomenal album. If you're interested in that kind of 'sound' that is heavily sample-based, I'd recommend checking out DJ Shadow's album 'Endtroducing.' It is 100% sample-based and oh my goodness, the new life he breathes into old recordings is borderline genius.

Huge cosign on "Three Feet High and Rising" for sure - one of those hip-hop albums that even people not even into rap typically appreciate when I share it with them.
Posted By: cxp Re: sampling history - 09/24/20 05:11 PM
While people immediately associate sampling with Hop Hop, other genres have also used sampling as the video says.
A great example of that is the album "If 60's were 90's" by Beautiful People. This album contains new music created using Jimi Hendrix samples.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_60%27s_Were_90%27s
Posted By: rharv Re: sampling history - 09/24/20 08:00 PM
Define Samples
Prerecorded snippets from other sources?
Just saying, by that definition Dark Side of the Moon could be described as using samples.
Much like many other projects from that era

I tend to think of 'Samples' as more digital based/implemented but that's just me.
Your definition may vary.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: sampling history - 09/24/20 10:51 PM
Originally Posted By: rharv
Define Samples
Prerecorded snippets from other sources?
Just saying, by that definition Dark Side of the Moon could be described as using samples.
Much like many other projects from that era

I tend to think of 'Samples' as more digital based/implemented but that's just me.
Your definition may vary.

Actually, Dark Side Of The Moon is one of the albums cited in the video.

The +++ Mellotron +++ uses samples.
Posted By: rharv Re: sampling history - 09/25/20 08:48 AM
Again, I tend to think of samples as digital based.
The Mellotron is obviously not digital ..
Hollywood has used prerecorded tape snippets since the 30's.
Posted By: Henry Clarke Re: sampling history - 09/25/20 11:18 PM
I agree sampling is nothing new. I've written lot's of songs totally from samples. What I really found interesting is that because of the sampling from the hip hop era it created a revenue stream for artists who had their music used in new recordings. Grandmaster Flash used Nile Rogers and CHIC for their massive hit. Some artists realized revenue beyond what they ever earned from their hit records back in the day. I remember looking at a documentary of the Delfonics where they only received about $1,000 from the song "La La Means I love you". Jay Z used the song in a multi platinum album and the royalties went through the roof. Made them all rich men. Love this topic !!
© PG Music Forums