PG Music Home
Posted By: pghboemike Super popular supertonic - 09/23/20 08:20 AM
Posted By: MountainSide Re: Super popular supertonic - 09/23/20 08:31 AM
That's interesting. I wonder if this is something unique to current pop music or can it be traced back into rock, American Songbook or classical types too?

Jeff
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Super popular supertonic - 09/23/20 09:11 AM
This may be one that does not trace back to Bach.
Posted By: sslechta Re: Super popular supertonic - 09/23/20 10:44 AM
That was different... Most of those were pop hits from the past 5 years or so. I've heard most of them. I just didn't realize they were hitting that note of the scale so much. Record Producers-->Your song must have Supertonic! smile
Posted By: MarioD Re: Super popular supertonic - 09/23/20 11:02 AM
What he was calling supertonic playing I would call him playing in the key of C using the Dorian mode. What do you think?
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Super popular supertonic - 09/23/20 12:20 PM
Dang...I think this is going to be a curse, and now I'm going to hear that supertonic everything. Really interesting video, on a topic I usually don't pay a lot of mind to. Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: sslechta Re: Super popular supertonic - 09/23/20 08:33 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
What he was calling supertonic playing I would call him playing in the key of C using the Dorian mode. What do you think?

Per that old post we worked on in the past, that could very well be.....

The modes ranked by brightness

I kind of took that video as he converted all the songs to C Major to show that the second note in the key, D, was being hit a lot. But I guess that shift to Dorian would put the D as the tonic 1st note of the key.
© PG Music Forums