PG Music Home
Posted By: Hogman Entering trails (or short fades) to a bar - 09/26/20 02:45 PM
First post for me and I hope that I'm explaining it well. Having trouble finding a way to end a bar with a slight tail off or fade. And (in the next bar) resume to the verse of a song. Like an project that has a 3 chord intro and then fades and then get into the verse. I'm thinking that the Edit Settings for the Bar is the way but it's not working for me. Thinking that I not setting the parameters accordingly. Are there any tips from you or PG Vidioes that could put me on the right track?
It sounds like what you are explaining is a held chord (though that might be wrong).

If so -

add 3 dots after the chord in that last measure before the verse.

Like this:

G7...

It is sometimes good to have the drums keep playing (while all the other instruments hold) - in which case you would add a "d" after the dots. Like this:

G7...d
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
It sounds like what you are explaining is a held chord (though that might be wrong).

If so -

add 3 dots after the chord in that last measure before the verse.

Like this:

G7...

It is sometimes good to have the drums keep playing (while all the other instruments hold) - in which case you would add a "d" after the dots. Like this:

G7...d

this ^^^^^^^
Posted By: Hogman Re: Entering trails (or short fades) to a bar - 09/27/20 03:30 PM
Floyd Jane, exactly what I wanted. Thanks
If the fade does not last for as long as you want change the tempo over several bars. Don't try to change all abruptly. Slow down the song tempo over the all the hold bars and then resume the normal song tempo when the hold completes.

Assuming the hold is over four bars.

Select the second bar of the hold and press F5 to open the bar settings window.

Enter a slightly slower tempo than the existing song tempo either by BPM or percentage. For me I normally get a better response using small percentages like -5 percent or -10 percent spread over several bars. For example bar 2 = -5% and bar 3 = 5%.

Use the Bar # box to advance to the next (third) bar and slow the tempo down a little more.

Advance to the first bar of the verse and enter the original song tempo.

Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg
Posted By: Hogman Re: Entering trails (or short fades) to a bar - 09/28/20 01:51 PM
Thanks Jim. I'm running a Mac and the % doesn't show up but I figured it out what your saying. It works too and it's something that I have to practice on getting right. More detailed I think. Great info to know. Need to mark both in my manual. Thanks
Nice! A crude form of automation!
Hi Hogman,

Thanks for the additional information. As I see from the Mac BiaB user manual, the Bar Settings window is accessible via F5, OPTION+B or from the Edit > Bar Settings on the menu bar. There's also this handy, dandy tip:
Quote:
Tip: If the F5 key does not perform the expected function in Band-in-a-Box, you will need to go to the AppleĀ® System Preferences and uncheck the system setting in the Keyboard Shortcuts list.

Anyhow, the Mac Bar Settings window has a text entry box labeled "Relative Tempo Change" just below a text entry box labeled "Tempo Change". Unfortunately, the Mac user manual really doesn't provide much how to use information.

I know you discovered this information but I thought I'd provide it for other Mac users that may run across this thread.

Description: 2020 Mac F5 Bar Settings window with Relative Tempo Change highlighted.
Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg
© PG Music Forums