PG Music Home
Posted By: Peters Garage Real Tracks - compression level - 12/01/20 06:52 PM
Hello,

anyone know what kind of compression level has already been used on Real Tracks?
Sometimes I need additional compression on the tracks, other times they almost need more dynamic (especially distorted guitars)...
Posted By: rharv Re: Real Tracks - compression level - 12/01/20 08:25 PM
IMO most of any compression is likely on the Source side (what actually got recorded/mixed) before they became RTs.

RTs are made by starting with a recording of a known set of chords/patterns, then PGMusic does their magic.
The sound/FX used on the original recordings will still be evident and often add the character needed for the style.
I don't think they add much compression to most RTs.

Posted By: WSE1 Re: Real Tracks - compression level - 12/02/20 03:12 AM
Ears are "EVERYTHING". When I bring BIAB tracks to my DAW, I bring them in flat not concerned about whether they've been compressed or how much. I listen to all the tracks needed to create my song arrangement after having auditioned each one to insure the mix is good. Then I set levels, but I use my track gain, not my faders to achieve a combined DB that will not interfere with headroom. I watch my fader levels I set at -12db on each instrument, when I brought them in, and if there is a big enough jump above -12db in various parts, then I use my DAW compressor to tame the jumps within each track.

When all that's done, I begin listening how to improve the sound of each instrument with EQ, Reverb, Amplification maybe, and Pitch correction if needed.

I then bring in Melodyne and make adjustments that way if necessary.

Next step, Link all my channels and raise their level to 0 and turn the output on my audio interface down. Now I can hear what instruments do not sit well in the mix, and do what I need to do to correct that and if the correction caused the Main Fader DB get below 0, I raise the level on the linked faders again to 0, grab my limiter on the inserts tab and select Kill the Transients.

Then I mix down and give it a listen. If I need more instruments, I go back to biab, replace original instruments with those I need and solo them transport back to my DAW.

I don't use Realband, because it doesn't and can't accomplish what my DAW does.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Real Tracks - compression level - 12/02/20 10:34 AM
Regarding distorted RT guitars (and others) I render them Direct Input when available and then apply the amp sim of my choice. That will give you much more control over the dynamics. FWIW.

Bud
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Real Tracks - compression level - 12/04/20 12:52 AM
Yeah, I don't think there's a lot of compression on most Realtracks, but some may have been run through a channel strip with some sort of compression. I would assume the effects to be rather subtle though.

More than likely the compression you're hearing on guitars could've been a compressor stompbox the artist used while recording, or perhaps just the natural compression of a tube amp (where applicable).

But as the others mentioned, using the Direct Input version of a Realtrack would bypass any of those.
© PG Music Forums