PG Music Home
Posted By: Hogman About Editing an Audio Track - 12/29/20 02:38 PM
I running BIAB 2020 for Mac, DAW is Logic X and interface is Focusrite.

I'm trying to write most, if not all, of a song in BIAM includion audio and then coping to Logix for the mix. My question is how can I edit, i.e. cut, paste, copy etc, an audio track, example would be Realtraks solo guitar, using the audio editor?

I see the audio track in the mixer but can seem to load it into the editor where I can edit. What I have tried is:

- drag and drop into the Editor window, no go
- drag the audio to my workspace then drag and frop into the Editor, no go.
- looked into the manual and so far it only show you how to use the Editor with a song file, which is not what I want.
- Looked at the tutorials and I can fine anything.

If it is "doable" I think Im close but missing a step somewhere. Can you advise or point me in the right direction so I can resolve this?

Reference Manual page number, video, link... anything. Thanks for your help.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: About Editing an Audio Track - 12/29/20 09:51 PM
I don't edit in that manner. Most often, I import the tracks and then use volume envelope automation to control what instrument is playing. So, for example, on the solo guitar, I have the volume down until it's supposed to come in. I will then pull other things down during the solo to let the solo instrument fill the space without competition from the rhythm instruments.

But to answer the question..... You should learn the editing features and functionality of your DAW. I know for example that I can remove a measure I don't like and copy one that I do like from another location in the song and drop it into the hole. All audio editing should be done in your DAW. Period.

I never try to edit in BB.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: About Editing an Audio Track - 12/30/20 12:01 AM
I don't have a Mac version but according to this BIAB Mac audio recording video from July 2015.
Band-in-a-Box for Mac: Recording Audio

Mac versions have the same capability to edit audio that Windows versions have. That should still be the case if you have a newer version than what is used in the video.

The steps in Windows versions is simple and should be similar, or the same, in your Mac version.
. Realtracks need to be converted to audio - In BIAB mixer, they are not the same.
. Once a RealTrack has been generated from a Chord Chart, save the track as a Performance Track by right clicking on the track and selecting Track Actions\ Save as Performance Track.
. Once the RealTrack has converted to a Performance Track from the Audio Menu select Move Performance Track to the Audio Track.
With this action, the RealTrack will be located and editable on the Audio Track.

After editing, you can reverse the process and move the Audio back to the RealTrack track as a Performance Track and free the Audio Track for further audio processing.
Posted By: Hogman Re: About Editing an Audio Track - 12/30/20 01:42 PM
Your are right to use the DAW for this, however, the more I dig into BIAB, I realize there is way more features that I can use to create a better work flow. No doubt that editing, recording, and mixing in Logic is more powerful. Anything to help me from duplicating work is a good thing.

Thanks for the info.
Posted By: Hogman Re: About Editing an Audio Track - 12/30/20 01:45 PM
Good info here for me. Does this mean that I can create more audio tracks when I follow this process?
I thought that was limited to the tracks indicated on the mixer.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: About Editing an Audio Track - 12/30/20 02:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Hogman
Good info here for me. Does this mean that I can create more audio tracks when I follow this process?
I thought that was limited to the tracks indicated on the mixer.

Absolutely. You can generate as many tracks as you want. There's only a single Audio Channel, but it can be used over and over.
© PG Music Forums