PG Music Home
I found a very nice 3 minutes 10 seconds +++ VIDEO +++ demonstrating how recorded sound changes based solely on microphone positioning. The device used to remotely change the mic position is called a +++ Dynamount +++ XI-R.
That is some really cool & pricey tech Jim, thanks for sharing!
The tech is pricey but the video is informative regarding the effect of microphone positioning on the final sound result.
Excellent video! I should build my own one of these, it'd be far cheaper. Maybe not as good looking though lol.
I think the Royer 122 pickup pattern is like my 121, in that the sideways position rejects sound. That's very dramatic in the video.
It would be interesting to see a similar video with vocals. So I went off to look and found this - not quite the same, but valuable none the less.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vabjx8mZ6tU
Ok, what am I missing? In the old days, we used our ears. When all is said and done, we still do.

It is an interesting piece of hardware. I can see its use on film and TV sets, certain industrial applications etc. but the concept is not new. Similar remote devices for controlling mic position have existed for decades — perhaps not as slick and inexpensive as this one. Except for being compact, it brings nothing new to the table.
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I think the Royer 122 pickup pattern is like my 121, in that the sideways position rejects sound. That's very dramatic in the video.

Yeah, ribbon mics are almost always a figure 8 pickup pattern, with nulls at the sides (I say "almost always" because I know of at least one hypercardioid ribbon, the Beyerdynamic M160). I've never used the Royers, but the AEA ribbons I used to use were very dramatically different off axis.

Been thinking of adding a pair of ribbons to my mic collection lately, still deciding which ones. I don't need them, but I definitely want them...
I have a Beyerdynamic 160 as well. Great mic for half the price of the Royer. Totally different polar pattern response from the Royer.
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I have a Beyerdynamic 160 as well. Great mic for half the price of the Royer. Totally different polar pattern response from the Royer.

I'd love a pair of each of those, though my pocketbook won't allow it. Interestingly, an old Shure 300 ribbon mic popped up locally, so I might pick that one up...

Gear Acquisition Syndrome at it's best!
Unless you can afford an arsenal in your mic locker, and take the time to learn exactly how each will work, then you want to know why you want a specific mic. I’m lucky to have recorded in many studios on many mics, and I know which makes me sound the way I like.
I've used a pair of AEA R92's extensively, mostly as drum overheads and room mics, very nice on those and guitar amps too. I just can't justify the price tag yet. Also used an old RCA 77DX, which was wonderful on everything I threw it at.

I personally own a locker full of mics up in that price range, just no ribbons as of yet. I have an old Apex 205 ribbon kicking around that needs re-ribboning as the chrome paint on the magnets flaked off and tore through the ribbon, though I'm not certain it's worth repairing, even if I do the work myself...
© PG Music Forums