PG Music Home
firstly this is not a technical enquiry to help me get better mixes and improve my home recordings. that might be an end result but the main aim is to give me something to do and learn in lockdown. mainly it's to do with playing with my new izotope plugins.

i have nectar 3 plus but only the elements version of neutron. i got some very useful advice on 'masking' vocals due to cutting eq where there was a conflict with other tracks in another thread.

but some queries i have aren't easily resolved with izotope's support process so i am coming straight to the expertise on the forum.

firstly does the unmask on nectar 3 plus work with neutron elements or only with the full or advanced versions?

if i put neutron elements on a track, do i need to add relay to the track too? and if i put relay on the track do i need neutron elements if i don't need neutron to shape the track in question. and if i have a mix of tracks with neutron elements and some with just replay will unmask work on all of them?

and finally, if i send all the backing tracks to a subgroup can i put neutron/and or relay on the subgroup channel strip instead of individually - saving plugin resource needed - and point unmask just to that strip? i could use a neutron master bus preset on the subgroup.

finally, non-izotope related, if i have reverb on an aux send and return, and route several tracks to it, will the reverb be affected if i send tracks to the subgroup? presumably the aux return sends to the master output bus (as i think a hardware mixer would do) so it would bypass the subgroup which could mean a reverb level at the original track volume setting not a reduced volume if the subgroup fade is lowered..

as i said, this more fun interest and curiosity than a real life mixing and production issue. these days i record for my own pleasure and occasionally when requested by friends. recently i made a full band demo of a track a friend had written which she posted on facebook.

it's fun, interesting and keeping me occupied during lockdown.
first response from izotope support - i need to use relay on every track i want unmask to work on
My knowledge on this topic is older. I do use Izotope Ozone on final stereo mixes.

A few years ago, they released a product called Alloy that was "Ozone-light" and was designed to be used on each track without driving up the CPU usage. I assume you have the new replacement of that.
You are looking for a short answer that iZotope uses a number of support and training videos to explain.

My short answer is to visit iZotope's YouTube channel:

iZotope YouTube channel

Quote:
A few years ago, they released a product called Alloy that was "Ozone-light" and was designed to be used on each track without driving up the CPU usage. I assume you have the new replacement of that.

Whoa, that takes me backā€¦ I haven't used Alloy 2 in years. With Nectar, I sort of forgot Alloy even existed. I just pulled it up and it still works but is no longer offered for sale. I see that I upgraded to Alloy 2 in 2012; don't know when I bought the original. I've been using their plugs for nearly (over?) 20 years.
thanks Mike but the youtube videos don't answer my questions about subgroups as they work in RB.

i've seen most of them and i'm happy with working on individual tracks. maybe its RB advice i need not izotope. certainly i have to work out what track is masking the voice before i can use unmask - and i got a lot of help in a previous post.

trouble is i seem to need to know a lot more about the problems i've got before i can use the automated ways to solve them.

if anyone can answer the subgroup questions about the RB mixer that would help.
The RealBand board went thisaway:

RealBand Forum
thanks Mike - i already reposted the RB queries on the RB forum but left this as unresolved as i hope to get some hands on advice from forum members about using the plugins as outlined above
© PG Music Forums