PG Music Home
Posted By: Will Rockwell Getting played on college radio - 03/07/21 07:28 PM
A couple of years ago I had quite a thrill when two of my songs were played on a college radio station at UC Berkley. I wonder if others on this forum have gotten airplay on college radio, and how you got it.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Getting played on college radio - 03/07/21 08:41 PM
We’ve done the same via Songtradr.

J&B
Posted By: Will Rockwell Re: Getting played on college radio - 03/09/21 07:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
We’ve done the same via Songtradr.

J&B

What success did you have?
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Getting played on college radio - 03/09/21 07:28 PM
We've had 22 songs licensed by Mood Media which is the largest worldwide provider of "over head" music, i.e., restaurants, bars, etc.

I'd have to check but we opted in all our songs for college radio and had 5 or 6 tunes selected.

If by success you mean money...not much with the college radio as it's like payout for an album upload to the platforms, e.g., Spotify and only pays out when streamed. I don't really see any serious money in college radio at least not for our old school genres.

Mood Media is a different model and pays a relatively small quarterly amount to us.

Additionally we've made around $300 on three songs licensed for different projects.

But with us it's just for fun and ST is cheap. And it offers some validation beyond family and friends smile that we are producing some decent music.

Bud
Posted By: rharv Re: Getting played on college radio - 03/09/21 07:29 PM
We did it by showing up at the college and talking with the team that ran the radio station.

Donuts/coffee can go a long way .. same thing happened with a couple commercial radio stations;
Buy advertising for a show you are doing (fairly affordable if you explain it is a benefit)
Bring coffee, donuts, band promo items and a CD (look like you are serious and have plans) .. within days we were riding around hearing our stuff on the airwaves.
A little schmoozing can go a long way smile
© PG Music Forums