PG Music Home
ECHO MIA 2496 pci interface.
anyone know much about it ?
i picked it up for peanuts from the recording gear store years ago
thinking i might use it in a desktop rig at the time.
but never did.
here are pics
https://reverb.com/ca/item/34283278-echo...ASABEgIXovD_BwE
my questions.
would it work in win 10 today ? on say one of those hp refurb
z desktop xeon workstations ?
https://www.newegg.ca/hp-z-series-z440/p...AyABEgKyIfD_BwE
thanks
oldmuso

Wow, I looked at the HP specs and it actually does appear to have a PCI slot.
Those get rarer by the day.

If you get one and want to have even more fun, I'm pretty sure there is an M-Audio 1010LT laying around here somewhere.
Can't vouch for any drivers for it in W10 though .. does the Echo have W10 drivers?

Hardware vs software support are different (but dependent), which is why a lot of PCI devices have faded away.
Rharv.
originally the echo cards were quite highly thought of.
i only paid like 8 buckies for it on a gear close out. lol.
its a shame its not being utelised. its hardly ever been used.
i saw one post on gearslutz that a user seemed to get it working with win 10. also asio 4 all or flex asio should work if native drivers dont ?

whats happened is ive digitised all my old classic vinyl, and was gonna use the echo purely for playback; cos i like to "have a blast" playing classic rock on my guitar. cos not much on todays modern hit parades interest me. i just dont hear memorable hooks in a lot of stuff today versus the old stuff. or maybe i'm just getting old lol. seriously , i try to remain very very open to new musical trends //genres etc. but lots of new stuff just dont get my juices going or get me cranked up.

actually , as an aside, ive always been interested in and studied in depth the "psychology of the human brain" and why i can play some classic songs , and still want to play them again and again over and over ad infinitum . eg frampton or recently i worked out the chords to one of andy williams massive hits.(what a singer he was.).

thus thats the mia's potential use; just playing back stuff ive digitised and which i enjoy the challenge of working out the chords to. i never use the net to work out song chords , cos i like the challenge.

btw if a desktop only has pcie slots, there are pci adaptors. another good vendor of cards is esi with the maya 44 ? right now i'm also researching some of the high falutin audio over ethernet stuff. but gee the prices.

regarding a new desktop computer i'm looking to get, i'm torn frankly between staying with refurbs like the hp xeon slam it full of of ram and ssd's or your ryzen approach.

best
oldmuso.

© PG Music Forums