PG Music Home
Posted By: npac Help with equalizing volume - 08/05/21 06:27 PM
Help! I've got a live gig in a weerk, a good set list of Biab backing tracks, but when I practice through it the volume changes a lot between songs. I don't want to have to readjust the volume between each song. Is there a way to eqaualize ahead of time?
Posted By: rharv Re: Help with equalizing volume - 08/05/21 06:31 PM
Render to Wav, adjust those WAV files to suit and have fun
.. OR insert PGPeakLimit in the output and adjust that way,
OR ..

It takes a little prep work but can be done
Posted By: mrgeeze Re: Help with equalizing volume - 08/05/21 06:45 PM
I use MP3Gain. Its a piece of freeware that is specifically built to do what you want.

It will even tell you which files of yours are clipped during the analysis portion.

Worth every penny.

Mp3GainExpress is the Mac version.

I usually set my output to 89db. That works for my backing tracks.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Help with equalizing volume - 08/05/21 08:45 PM
"I usually set my output to 89db. That works for my backing tracks."

You should really try 90dB. That one dB makes all the difference! cool

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Teunis Re: Help with equalizing volume - 08/05/21 09:52 PM
Like several others have mentioned I convert my .wav files to MP3 then run them through MP3Gain.

I mix and “master” in Reaper the last plugin in the process is Youlean LUFS meter (which is free) or these days iZotope Insight 2 (which costs). The LUFS meter is set to -14 LUFS (also 0 setting on my Reaper output meter is -14db). I convert the Render to MP3. If the LUFS meter shows about -16 then the converted MP3 is very close to the 89db. (As said earlier I also tend to use 90db but that is a preference thing).

The really nice thing about MP3Gain is that it can set an entire folder in one go.

Tony
Posted By: npac Re: Help with equalizing volume - 08/06/21 04:53 PM
Thanks for all the replies! That Mp3Gain does the trick.
© PG Music Forums