Posted by: Rob4580

Samplab - 08/28/21 08:45 PM

New free plugin that turns audio into midi

Samplab
Posted by: chulaivet1966

Re: Samplab - 08/29/21 04:55 AM

Howdy Bob....

Interesting VST....no doubt.

I could anticipate giving it a try but I'm always wary of 'free' stuff sites and their offerings.

Have you tried it?

Thanks for posting the link.

Carry on....
Posted by: Matt Finley

Re: Samplab - 08/29/21 05:10 AM

See the other thread on this.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=670409#Post670409

It has several limitations at the moment; that’s probably why it’s free now.

Re: Samplab - 08/29/21 06:16 AM

Howdy Matt....

Thanks for the link to the other thread.

Have a great day....
Posted by: Rob4580

Re: Samplab - 08/29/21 07:04 AM

Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966
Howdy Bob....

Interesting VST....no doubt.

I could anticipate giving it a try but I'm always wary of 'free' stuff sites and their offerings.

Carry on....

Have you tried it?

Thanks for posting the link.

Im using studio one daw and cant get it working in that.
I hope to e able to use it. smile

Re: Samplab - 08/29/21 07:25 AM

See my answer in the earlier thread.

Re: Samplab - 08/29/21 07:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Im using studio one daw and cant get it working in that.
I hope to be able to use it. smile

No....I haven't as of yet.

Matt's link suggests it's still incubating and maybe not ready for prime time quite yet.
Hence....it's 'free'....for now.

I use Sonar X3 and could see an occasional potential for it but not at this time.

Have a great day all....
Posted by: MarioD

Re: Samplab - 08/29/21 08:30 AM

FYI - Here are a few audio to MIDI conversion programs:

https://www.geekdashboard.com/best-mp3-to-midi-converters/#:~:text=Best%20MP3%20to%20MIDI%20converters%20and%20online%20tools,5%20Audacity%20%E2%80%93%20Open%20Source%20MIDI%20converter.%20

Some are free, some demos and some are on-line conversion programs. Also don't forget that on the Window's side RealBand will convert monophonic audio files to MIDI.

Also note that whatever converter you use they may/will be some editing that you will have to do to get a perfect MIDI file. Personally I have found that Melodyne is the best audio to MIDI converter as it requires very little if any editing.
YMMV
Posted by: MusicStudent

Re: Samplab - 08/29/21 11:06 AM

This may add some info... Is does show it is polyphonic! It uses an off load to their cloud server which is a bit weird, but it is what it is. I love Melodyne for vocals, but I did not purchase the very expensive polyphonic version.

Re: Samplab - 08/29/21 11:42 AM

This is what happens when there are two threads on the same subject.

Yes, it worked for me in Studio One.

Yes, it’s polyphonic already, just not stereo.
Posted by: Mark Hayes

Re: Samplab - 08/29/21 12:49 PM

Well that was surprising! I got Samplab working on a cello/vocal duet snippet in Logic, and was quite surprised at what it does.

It doesn't just analyze an audio track and create a corresponding MIDI note data track, it analyzes the track then uses MIDI to drive samples extracted from the original audio.

It's like having a MIDI interface to the individual instruments in a recorded performance.

The untweaked output sounds the same as the audio input. I thought, "I must be listening to the wrong track, that's actually George's voice, but I'm trying to play this software instrument track." But I was doing just that, playing a MIDI track, as I discovered when I tweaked a few notes on the piano roll and heard George change pitch.

I don't know what this thing could really be capable of in its full theoretical possibility glory, but if it can keep anything like a promise like that, woo hoo.

P.S. – Yes, I understand there's the other thread.
Posted by: marsdengermaine

Re: Samplab - 09/11/21 01:53 AM

still incubating and maybe not ready for prime time quite yet.
Hence....it's 'free'....for now.