PG Music Home
Posted By: David Snyder HELP ONE ANOTHER_A LESSON FROM RAYC - 11/01/21 02:00 PM

So, I got back from vacation and when I logged in I saw I had a private message. What I saw was a pleasant surprise.

RayC contacted me and said something like this. I paraphrase:

"Hey man, I really like your new song but some of the vocal notes sounded wrong to me so I went ahead and fixed them and sent you some MP3s, including one with the vocal stem, which I fixed. Hope you don't mind."

I burst out laughing.

Mind! Of course I don't! Thank you! I was bothered by those vocals myself and couldn't figure it out.

I listened to what he did, and saw he had made some very intelligent and wise musical choices in a few tweaks.

Now, this is what I am used to from a LONG history of working with musicians and recording, etc. You bat the ball around all day, iron out the kinks and do take 37. That's reality.

What struck me though was this: I always thought that THIS is what the forum was about anyway. Song improvement. Why else would we be here? If I want recommendations on non-BIAB related gear and I can just go to Sweetwater.

After reading hundreds of four page posts this year about all the things wrong with BIAB and why we should never use RealBand, and so and so forth (or why we should just stop writing and worship Adele) it was a breath of fresh air to have a fellow Musician simply say:

"Hey dude, something in your vocal bothered me--but I fixed it. Check it out."

It is one of the best messages I have received since I joined in 2014.

Now that's what I'm talking about.

Wish there was more of it. And less of the 40 page rampages on why Band-in-a-Box doesn't work.

Crafting better tunes. Wow, who would have thunk it.
That's exactly what I like to see here, some jolly co-operation! Music should not be a solo endeavour, but should be a community effort. Thanks RayC, and thanks for sharing the story here David!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: HELP ONE ANOTHER_A LESSON FROM RAYC - 11/01/21 10:09 PM

EXACTLY my point, sir.

smile
Posted By: RoyReddy Re: HELP ONE ANOTHER_A LESSON FROM RAYC - 11/01/21 10:44 PM
looking for the like/ love/ respect button
( pressing frantically, soar finger )
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: HELP ONE ANOTHER_A LESSON FROM RAYC - 11/02/21 10:39 PM
David,

Nice post. I'm glad RayC is getting recognized for his effort to make your song better. That was a bold move on his part as I believe some people consider their songs scared and not to be touched by others.

There will always be users that exist in different development stages. It's really nice when a user more efficient (not the right word but the best I can come up with right now) will reach out and offer to lend a hand.

Way to go RayC!
© PG Music Forums