PG Music Home
Re Mac Mini with m class cpu.
Ive been reading on the number of trak n plug in counts users are getting with the mini. Impressive.
Then i’m reading a mac article bout possible m2 for mac mini.

If this comes to pass at a under 1k price point and with a good no of usb c ports and ability to run 2 hi speed ssd’s i would have to seriously consider a move from win.
Its not that i would need a ton of traks/plug ins (i dont overproduce)...
But it would be nice to know the reserves of power were there if needed.
It would be nice if Realband ran on such. Then i could use my current production Combo of biab/rb/reaper on a mini.

I have to say apple silicon is starting to get mighty interesting.

Does any pg user have real life current mini m1 performance stats ?
Ie base model ?
Ie stats like how long to boot from cold ? any feeling of max plug in /trak counts....
Assuming low cpu usage plug ins ? how long to boot from desk top into logic or studio one or other daws eg a song with 40 traks and 30 plug ins ?

I’m not gonna plonk down 2k for music studio given the silicon might change ...
but a mini with m2 could be very interesting at an under 1k price point.
Particularly as ive just read a report that lots of songwriters are lucky to make 67 bucks a year selling their songs on the net !!

Any performance stats/info on mini appreciated.

Best
om
You can do quite a bit with the M1. Realkband requires a Windows emulator, of course.

I'll be purchasing the new Studio Ultra with 8TB storage sometime before the summer for a lot le$$ than I paid for my iMac Pro.
Mike.
I’m really glad apple went to its silicon because its going to engender more competition ie lets see how intel and amd respond to the M series.
Another reason i’m happy is because processor capabilities // power had plateaued for so loooong. Particularly at the budget processor level.
so much for moores law being beaten by the laws of physics.
Frankly i’m disappointed in the tech industry i used to work in.
It was very boring before apples M series came out imho.
Particularly the processor power plateauing aspect.
So i’m glad if the M series has shaken things up.

From my tech marketing background i feel Apple have a major strategic opportunity,with the M silicon.
I reckon they could sell a zillion mac minis if they brought out a mini ...
under 1k with following specs.
..M2 cpu
..3 usb 3 slots
..2 m.2 ssd slots
..16gb ram upgradable to 64 gb.
Huge world sales would ensue imho. Particularly from small project studios.
“But” if they adopt higher pricing schemes…then it forces smaller studios like mine to stay with win because for example i can build a very very nice desktop pc with a intel 11400 processor , a few ssd’s and lots a ram for less than 1k cost.
And this pc will allow me loads of traks//plug ins. Certainly enough for large projects.

The other problem for Apple if they keep prices high, it will force people who need Power // flexibility to go the refurb route eg refurb HP Z workstations which are beasts
For project studio work.
i cant believe some musicians continue to buy puny one drive budget laptops unsuited often for serious studio//plug in work..when lovely high power off lease beasts like HP Z refurbs are available for so little money or refurb lenovos.
Frankly its pc laptops that are due a major shake up imho mike.
ie lack of ssd slots//flexibility. I reckon if people could get a pc laptop running At 4ghz with 2 ssd solts and 32 gb ram for a under 700 buks price…i for one would be interested.

Anyhoo the above is my perspective.

God bless/happiness.
Ex chorister om.

© PG Music Forums