PG Music Home

Introducing the Roland SP404 MKII
Hmmm......doesn't do much for me, not my type of music coming out of that. And $500? Could use that for something that works better for me.

Jeff
I dunno, seems like a fun tool to me, but not sure how you could use it in BiaB (see topic)
In RB though, yeah .. I could see that
Lol Jeff. Of course you can use the machine for any genre of music --

<< ... not sure how you could use it in BiaB >>

Rharv, it would work equally well with BIAB or RB. My version of BIAB has over 3,000 hours of audio and more than 2,500 instruments. That's a lot of material for sampling and also the amazing drum sounds don't you think?
Quote:
Carefully refined through feedback from the beatmaking community…

Nothing there for me.
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran
Quote:

Nothing there for me.

BIAB early development was heavily influenced by the Jazz community but it's quite efficient and versatile in many other genres. With over 3,500 hours of RealTrack audio and more than 2,700 instruments, you should be able to find something to sample don't you think?
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran
Quote:

Nothing there for me.

BIAB early development was heavily influenced by the Jazz community but it's quite efficient and versatile in many other genres. With over 3,500 hours of RealTrack audio and more than 2,700 instruments, you should be able to find something to sample don't you think?

You quoted my remark while missing my point completely.

Quote:

I don't "make beats" in the modern music sense. For that matter, I don't "mak(ing) modern pop".

There are plenty of other ways to make a living in music and BIAB is an important tool in my arsenal.
No problem. In fact, I thought your post was spot on.

Here's the context of the original post:

The post wasn't directed toward any individual making beats or modern pop but but was questioning can the Roland device be an effective tool combined with the BIAB program to not only make unique beats from BIAB's library of drums, percussion and synths but other instruments and styles to sample as well.

Further context: There was a long discussion in 2021 that BIAB did not have adequate material and styles to make pop music songs the same as it does for jazz, country or oldies, etc. PG staff became involved in that online discuss and the 2022 BIAB release included new modern music styles. The original post points to how that fits in with BIAB raw content, instruments and styles. I think there's lots of potential and I interpreted your response to be the same as what a majority thought last year, there's not enough content or instruments.

I'm still waiting for BIAB 2022 for the Mac. I like what the PC version has brought to the table even if a lot of it will never be used by me.
FWIW Charlie, I thought your original question was can the sampler be used inside BiaB to make modern pop music, not the other way around.
I would think it would work either way. Source the samples where ever they're found. CD's, Purchase a package, RealTracks, SuperMIdi, VST's, YouTube. The finished and processed product could very well be the foundation and a VSTi used in BIAB as a loop or sample. Certainly in RealBand don't you think?

In a recent Make Modern Pop tutorial video featuring Austin Hull, he played a simple acoustic guitar riff and then morphed and processed into a unique sound that was completely unrecognizable as a guitar. As a tool, that seems to be something the Roland is capable of.

In a recent Make Modern Pop tutorial video featuring Austin Hull, he played a simple acoustic guitar riff and then morphed and processed into a unique sound that was completely unrecognizable as a guitar. As a tool, that seems to be something the Roland is capable of.

Charlie, you have proven what I have been saying for years! Its not the tool it is the person using the tool.
< "Charlie, you have proven what I have been saying for years! Its not the tool it is the person using the tool." >

And using the right tool for specific results doesn't hurt either.
< "Charlie, you have proven what I have been saying for years! Its not the tool it is the person using the tool." >

And using the right tool for specific results doesn't hurt either.

I agree.
© PG Music Forums