PG Music Home
Posted By: Rob4580 Using GPUs for audio - 06/04/22 08:53 PM
Very interesting

"He outlines the benefits of using GPUs for audio; with extremely low latencies, multiple channels of processing, cloud based DSP, networked collaboration and the use of AI. They’ll be having an SDK available for third parties and will be releasing a free beta suite of plugins in the coming weeks - with partnerships with both NVIDIA and AMD now official"

[url=https://youtu.be/IFdgymosszA][/url]
Posted By: sslechta Re: Using GPUs for audio - 06/04/22 10:01 PM
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Using GPUs for audio - 06/04/22 10:15 PM
Oh great. The one thing in computing I didn't have to worry about was my Graphics card.

Well, OK. Exciting video.

"If the audio industry is going to grow like the rest of the computer industry, it needs new standards."

So I look forward to getting more 'convoluted'. Let's see what can happen!
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: Using GPUs for audio - 06/04/22 10:45 PM
Wake me up when it becomes a standard anywhere.

A 10 core iMac Pro can handle over 1,000 tracks of audio with VIs and convolution reverbs. That was 2017.

A solution looking for a problem.

Some of his numbers are wishful thinking.
Posted By: sslechta Re: Using GPUs for audio - 06/05/22 01:27 AM
Since I do a lot of gaming/flight simulation/video rendering I tend to keep a high end video card in my machine. We'll see what the future holds.....
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: Using GPUs for audio - 06/05/22 09:09 AM
Interesting, though it'll be interesting to see how far they really can go. I note that he talks mostly about convolution and spatial audio, which are processes that should fit reasonably well into a GPU context and are fairly processor intensive. Ditto for things like equalisation. The gains for things like VST instruments may well be very much less or even negligible. It's certainly something to keep an eye on.
Posted By: mrgeeze Re: Using GPUs for audio - 06/05/22 10:02 AM
yawn

10 years ago a hot thing was to use gpu's to create bitcoin miners.
I seem to remember CUDA was the API/parallel processing platform for that.

+1 with Mike Halloran.
A solution looking for a problem.

Nothing to see here
© PG Music Forums