PG Music Home
Posted By: DrDan Fields of Gold - Eva Cassidy Cover - 09/05/22 05:57 PM
Project started in BIAB and ended up entirely in my DAW. Kontakt Session Guitars (Multiple), Audio Imperia Chorus, Ethera Gold Atlantis, SF BBC Discover Orchestral Harp, EZDrummer3 and of course Melodyne, Nectar 3 and Ozone 9.

At this point in my life I don't have the chops to write from my heart, but if I could it would sound something like this. Till then, when I hear something which speaks to me, I am not shy about trying to cover it. This is a first take, so any comments on the mix would be appreciated and I would be glad to implement them if I can.

Field of Gold - Eva Cassidy Cover

Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Field of Gold - Eva Cassidy Cover - 09/05/22 10:06 PM
Dan,

That's pretty good. I haven't listened to the Eva Cassidy version so I can't compare to that. I like the tempo changes, background vocals, female voice and your singing.

My main complaint is the mix has no bottom. There's no bass, organ, piano left hand, nothing to give any bottom to the mix.

A secondary concern is your instrument choices. I think one is a virtual nylon string guitar and another is a harpsichord but they sound too similar and clash with each other's frequency space.

A preference would be to include a rhythm guitar or piano to add some empty audio filler.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Field of Gold - Eva Cassidy Cover - 09/06/22 09:20 AM
Thanks Jim, I will plug my ears in today and listen carefully, based on your advice. Much appreciated.

Dan
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: Field of Gold - Eva Cassidy Cover - 09/06/22 06:53 PM
The song by Sting?
Posted By: DrDan Re: Fields of Gold - Eva Cassidy Cover - 09/06/22 07:10 PM
Ya, of course.

Imitation is the highest form of compliment. I always liked this song written and performed by Sting

But I loved this cover by Eva. grin

I think I read somewhere that Sting liked Eva's version better than his. But don't quote me on that. crazy
Posted By: edshaw Re: Fields of Gold - Eva Cassidy Cover - 09/19/22 09:37 PM
That is just great, Dan. Wonderful vibrato on the vocal. Hey, Linda Ronstadt was once asked who the best female vocalist was. Now, that's question guaranteed to get her in trouble, eh? her answer was one that no one can find fault with: Eva Cassidy.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Fields of Gold - Eva Cassidy Cover - 09/20/22 11:09 AM
Thank you Ed, I appreciate the kind words. The vibrato is brought to you by IZotope Nectar 3 - I don't record vocals without it.

And BTW, Jim, I added a bass line over the solo portions. I wanted to keep the "sparse" sound so I kept it to a minimum. I also changed some of the VIs to avoid the clash you reported. I was going to upload but SoundCloud does not allow one to replace a file. So for now the world will only know the first take. crazy
Posted By: edshaw Re: Fields of Gold - Eva Cassidy Cover - 09/20/22 01:35 PM
Sure thing, Dan. Exclusive little club we have, here smile
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Fields of Gold - Eva Cassidy Cover - 09/20/22 01:48 PM
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
... I was going to upload but SoundCloud does not allow one to replace a file. So for now the world will only know the first take. crazy

Give the remix a new name and SoundCloud should allow you to upload it. How does "Fields of Gold - Eva Cassidy Cover Remix" strike your fancy?

I'd love to hear what you've done.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Fields of Gold - Eva Cassidy Cover - 09/20/22 04:24 PM
Will do Jim. Thanks for the interest. Stay tuned.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Fields of Gold - Eva Cassidy Cover - 09/21/22 12:44 PM
Way different. Much better balance of frequencies. Well done!
Posted By: DrDan Re: Fields of Gold - Eva Cassidy Cover - 09/21/22 03:47 PM
Ya, I listened more today, some things are better, .... but some are worse! The vocals have an edge on them now from Neckar which I can't unhear. Sounded good at the time, but I have to go back to the prior settings. So I will pull, or maybe delete and upload same title again with presets back to original.

I blame it on my eyes and the fact that I don't fully listen and listen and listen before I upload.
Posted By: edshaw Re: Fields of Gold - Eva Cassidy Cover - 09/21/22 07:55 PM
Message told me Remix and Remaster has been removed.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Fields of Gold - Eva Cassidy Cover - 09/21/22 08:03 PM
Ed, I took it down. The vocals had a "edge" to them. Maybe too much delay or reverb. I do hope to fix it and then swap out the origninal version with the new and improved version.

But rest assured, this final effort will appear on my Funeral Mix CD which I am compiling for when that time comes and all my friends and family will be forced to listen to my song stylings. Oh how the tears will fall... cry
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Fields of Gold - Eva Cassidy Cover - 09/22/22 02:32 PM
Well gosh Dan, really, a "My Funeral CD"? What I heard was nowhere near morbid enough for that!
Posted By: DrDan Re: Fields of Gold - Eva Cassidy Cover - 09/22/22 04:19 PM
Jim, fact is no one, with the exception of me and a few kind souls here in the forum, ever hears my music. My contribution to humanity was never designed to be in the area of music. If it was, then God played a cruel trick on me. Kinda like the fact that I was given a huge love for Basketball, but only grew to be 5 ft. 10 in. But I am OK with that. I have other talents which will leave far more impact after my passing than my music or my basketball. Both these are really just for me and I do thank God for the joy these gifts have provided to me over a lifetime.

But I am serious about leaving instructions for the backing track at my funeral reception. grin
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Fields of Gold - Eva Cassidy Cover - 09/22/22 11:35 PM
Okay Dan,

If you want to hear a real funeral song unlike any funeral song you've likely heard try +++ A Dying Business +++ by the Chad Mitchell Trio.
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: Fields of Gold - Eva Cassidy Cover - 09/23/22 03:06 PM
Quote:
The vibrato is brought to you by IZotope Nectar 3 - I don't record vocals without it.

For anything except choir tracks, I agree. I've been using Nectar since v.1 and it is a tremendous time saver. I do wish they had retained the original pitch correction tool in v.1/2 and not replaced it with Melodyne Essentials in v.3, however.

The wording of your remark is puzzling: do you track vocals with it or use it post only as I do?
Posted By: DrDan Re: Fields of Gold - Eva Cassidy Cover - 09/23/22 04:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran
[quote]The wording of your remark is puzzling: do you track vocals with it or use it post only as I do?

Yes, "post" as you do. Vocal are laid down by just me, naked so to so. I attempt to do the entire song in one take. I find if I have to do punchins I lose the feeling. Plus I can hear my voice change the longer I sing. And not always for the better. When I like what I got, I add Melodyne to pitch correct. It alway surprizes me how close to pitch I can get and still not get it perfect. Then comes Necktar.

I don't record a lot of my singing since my range is very limited, but when the right song comes along I am not shy at giving it my best.

Thanks for asking.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Fields of Gold - Eva Cassidy Cover - 09/23/22 07:47 PM
This is the final version. Only changes to FX and VIs. I went back to the original Necktar (wide and bright) and Ozone preset. This one is much better to my ear.

Jim, thanks for sending me back to the well. I think it was well worth it. grin

Fields of God - Eva Cassidy Cover - final mix and master
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Fields of Gold - Eva Cassidy Cover - 09/23/22 08:16 PM
I read through the remarks before listening to the final mix/master version and hadn't listened to any of the prior releases. Your reserved remarks had me anticipating a performance much different than what reached my ears. This is a remarkable arrangement, production and performance including your vocals, which I thought to be outstanding. This was excellent.

Don't lose your humbleness but you can certainly take a little off the sides.

Charlie
Posted By: DrDan Re: Fields of Gold - Eva Cassidy Cover - 09/23/22 08:31 PM
Wow, those are really nice comments. Thank you sir.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Fields of Gold - Eva Cassidy Cover - 09/23/22 10:12 PM
Dan,

Third time is the charm. I'm impressed.
Hi Dan, I love this song, and you did it justice.
Nice vibrato.
Love this recording.
Rene
© PG Music Forums