PG Music Home
I've just downloaded and installed Kontakt 7 without any problems. But when I try to add VSTi (in RealBand or any DAW) I can't find the dll location.
I assumed it would be in C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins 64 bit where Kontakt 5 and Kontak6 DLLs are. But it's not.
Can anyone help?
Cheers,
Mike
PS Kontakt 7 is visible and seems to work fine as a standalone.
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: Trying to add Kontakt7 to DAW - 10/08/22 05:48 AM
Originally Posted By: MoultiPass
Kontakt 7 : VST3 only. Extension is ".vst3", no "Dll"
Works in Biab under Komplete Kontrol for me.

Thanks Moultipass.
So how do I connect Kontakt 7 to RealBand?
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: Trying to add Kontakt7 to DAW - 10/08/22 09:25 AM
I don't have Komplete. Does RealBand not accept VST3?
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Trying to add Kontakt7 to DAW - 10/08/22 10:29 AM
When you install the Kontakt synth.... be sure to note where it installs. You can direct it to any location on the computer or let it choose it's own place.

Either way, you should know where it went.

In Sonar, one has to add it's location, if it's not installed in the main DLL directory, to the list of locations that are in the Sonar plug in manager scan list. Then one must instruct Sonar to RESCAN the list so it now picks up the new synth you added. At this point it becomes available to use in the DAW.

I never use synths in BB/RB other than the default TTS so I really can't speak to the process in the PG software.
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: Trying to add Kontakt7 to DAW - 10/08/22 02:18 PM
correct me if i'm wrong but didnt the free product ELEMENT host vst 3 plug ins ? for daws that dont have vst 3 support per user >> the brilliant pipeline awhile back ??

i'll see if i can find it.

ok i think this might be usefull ??

https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/vst3-on-all-native-instrument-software.418693/

and this ??

https://kushview.net/element/

best

om
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: Trying to add Kontakt7 to DAW - 10/08/22 05:32 PM
Element works in RB and allows vst3 plugins - follow the kushview link above. you load elemnt then load plugins inside it
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: Trying to add Kontakt7 to DAW - 10/09/22 03:46 AM
Thanks Moultipass, Guitarhacker, Justanoldmuso and Bob,
I downloaded Element and loaded it in to RealBand and loaded Kontakt 7 which seemed to open ok.
But I can't get any sound so I'll have to look further to fix that.
It's probably a midi-in, midi-out problem. If anyone can suggest anything, I'd be very grateful.
Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: Trying to add Kontakt7 to DAW - 10/09/22 04:51 AM
in elements try ticking 'ext' top left hand corner
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: Trying to add Kontakt7 to DAW - 10/09/22 05:06 AM
How/where is Komplete free?
Mike
Posted By: MoultiPass Re: Trying to add Kontakt7 to DAW - 10/09/22 05:49 AM
Originally Posted By: Bob Calver

Exact. Nice!
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: Trying to add Kontakt7 to DAW - 10/10/22 01:09 AM
Originally Posted By: MoultiPass
Originally Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G)
How/where is Komplete free?
Mike

Here : https://www.native-instruments.com/fr/catalog/free/

Thanks again MoultiPass. I got sound straight away with Komplete Kontrol.
The only problem now is when I save and reopen, Kontakt 7 hasn't saved in Komplete Kontrol and I have to reload Kontakt and the selected instrument again.
Any thoughts?
Mike
Posted By: MarioD Re: Trying to add Kontakt7 to DAW - 10/10/22 09:59 AM
I have found that if you use a wrapper of any kind you run the potential of having issues. Some software will work perfectly with a wrapper and others will not. I have quit using wrappers. YMMV
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: Trying to add Kontakt7 to DAW - 10/12/22 07:18 PM

Thanks again MoultiPass. I got sound straight away with Komplete Kontrol.
The only problem now is when I save and reopen, Kontakt 7 hasn't saved in Komplete Kontrol and I have to reload Kontakt and the selected instrument again.
Any thoughts?
Mike

Kontakt (full version) and Kontakt Player (free) normally Save settings fine when used with NI Registered libraries but not unregistered 3rd party libraries. The difference is that unregistered libraries do not have an NI serial# that allows them to be listed in NA (Native Access)—without that, it will need to be re-loaded every time. I trust you have registered everything you can through NA, yes?
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Trying to add Kontakt7 to DAW - 10/15/22 04:37 PM
Thanks Moultipass, Guitarhacker, Justanoldmuso and Bob,
I downloaded Element and loaded it in to RealBand and loaded Kontakt 7 which seemed to open ok.
But I can't get any sound so I'll have to look further to fix that.
It's probably a midi-in, midi-out problem. If anyone can suggest anything, I'd be very grateful.
Cheers,
Mike

Midi requires that you have your channels selected properly. If you're not transmitting and receiving on the same channel.... you won't hear anything. I haven't used midi in quite a while with NI and Kontakt, but as I recall, there is a very small/well hidden place on the GUI where that info is entered into the synth to tell it what to do. I have had that issue several times and mostly when I haven't used it in a while. I have to remember how to set everything up correctly to get music.
Posted By: MoultiPass Re: Trying to add Kontakt7 to DAW - 10/15/22 05:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Bob Calver
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: Trying to add Kontakt7 to DAW - 10/16/22 04:22 AM
Thanks everyone. I think(?) I've figured it out.
I was trying to load Komplete Kontrol (and Kontakt 7) among midi tracks/ports 1-16 instead of the DXi/VSTi synth ports (from track 17 onwards) - as I used to when just loading Kontakt 6.
Everything sounded fine but when I saved, closed and then opened RealBand again, Kontakt 7 and the instruments I had selected hadn't saved.
But loading Komplete Kontrol and Kontakt 7 (and selecting a Kontakt 7 instrument) in one of the DXi/VSTi synth ports seems to have fixed the problem. And every thing saves as it should.
Thank you all for your helpful suggestions, which eventually helped me solve the problem - and not give up.
Cheers,
Mike
Glad that you got it resolved and thanks for posting the solution.
Posted By: rharv Re: Trying to add Kontakt7 to DAW [Resolved] - 10/19/22 07:13 PM
Yes, thanks .. kind of makes sense that RB would save the synth settings *if it was in a synth slot and not a MIDI out slot.

I've been tinkering with Kontakt Komplete and regular Kontakt in RB vs just using them as standalone, and sometimes standalone just seems easier and more reliable, but this may be a good tip as to why.

Standalone sure makes GuitarRig easier .. no need for all the Input Monitoring & Recording steps in RB.
But it sure is nice when the Kontakt synths work in RB as expected. I think some of this is RB and some of it Kontakt, as previously mentioned. (see Guitarhackers post)
Kontakt seems to make assigning MIDI channels or even Audio Outs a challenge. It's hidden in that interface there somewhere .. but sure could be made easier sometimes, or at least more consistent.

© PG Music Forums