PG Music Home
Hi,

I just decided to scrap the Flex Edit tool in Logic Pro X, since it tangles with my vocals, and change the characteristic + adding artifacts to the vox track.

I already own Melodyne Essentials and finally got my act together and started using it, and I must say, it has been quite an easy ride to operate the basics. The results has blown my mind.

Does any of you have experience with Melodyne Assistant? Is the upgrade proper bang for your bucks?
Posted By: DrDan Re: Ceremony - Melodyne...should I upgrade? - 11/08/22 07:09 PM
Thanks for bringing this up. I opened Melodyn to see what version I have and and found there is a free update. I have assistant and I love it. If you records vocals it is "essential", well much more than essential. Wait for a sale and update, for sure.

New in Version 5.3
The update to Version 5.3 contains improvements and bug fixes, which is why we recommend it to all users. Moreover, Melodyne 5.3 is required for ARA integration into Pro Tools 2022.9.

New features and improvements

Surround: In both ARA and Transfer modes, Melodyne can now also be used for the editing of tracks in the standard surround formats.
ARA in Pro Tools: Melodyne 5.3 comes with all the technical prerequisites for ARA integration into Pro Tools from Version 2022.9 upwards and thus makes a significantly improved workflow in Pro Tools possible.
Preferences: When Melodyne is employed for the first time as a plug-in, it loads the set of keyboard shortcuts corresponding to the DAW you are using.

Bug fixes

Recording: In the stand-alone implementation of Melodyne, you can now also use a recording device with a mono input (e.g. a MacBook microphone).
ARA in Cubase: When moving an ARA event to a track that is not selected, the selection in Melodyne is now retained.
Pro Tools: The position of the playback cursor in Melodyne is now correctly updated even when playback is stopped.
AAX in Pro Tools: When bouncing/committing, Melodyne now correctly evaluates the offline setting.
The Correct Pitch macro: When the macro was applied to a very large number of notes simultaneously, Melodyne would sometimes freeze. This no longer happens.
Preferences: Previously, in ARA mode, the keyboard shortcut for “Playback Selection” was erroneously listed under “Others” instead of under “Transport Bar”. This has been fixed.
The Note Inspector: The input field for Sibilant Balance now reliably accepts input even when multiple tracks are being edited simultaneously.
ARA in Cakewalk by Bandlab: Under certain circumstances, Melodyne would crash when loading a session. This has been fixed.
Ableton Live: The cause of random crashes when Melodyne was running in Live 11.1.1 under macOS Monterey on a Mac with an M1 chip has been detected and eliminated.
Note editing: The “Restore Original” commands in the Edit menu now behave more consistently in the stand-alone implementation, in the Transfer plug-in and under ARA.
I use Melodyne Editor edition, and it's an essential tool. Note that I do not do much with vocals, only instrumental tracks.

This link nicely shows and explains the differences in the four editions: https://www.celemony.com/en/melodyne/melodyne-5-editions

Posted By: rharv Re: Ceremony - Melodyne...should I upgrade? - 11/08/22 08:48 PM
Sure would be nice if PGMusic products supported VST3 wouldn't it?
Seems overdue in my mind.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Ceremony - Melodyne...should I upgrade? - 11/08/22 09:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I use Melodyne Editor edition, and it's an essential tool. Note that I do not do much with vocals, only instrumental tracks.

This link nicely shows and explains the differences in the four editions: https://www.celemony.com/en/melodyne/melodyne-5-editions

I use Melodyne Studio edition. I didn't really need it but I got it at a super price.

The Assistant will work fine for monophonic tracks and would be great for your vocals. But if you can afford it and have a use for it you might consider the Editor. With the Editor you can use polyphonic tracks so if BiaB doesn't give you exactly the chord you want you can modify the BiaB chord so it will give you said chord.
Posted By: sslechta Re: Ceremony - Melodyne...should I upgrade? - 11/08/22 09:19 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I use Melodyne Studio edition. I didn't really need it but I got it at a super price.

Same
Melodyne is expected to have a Black Friday Sale that includes upgrades for those who already have a Melodyne serial# for an older or lesser version.
Posted By: Teunis Re: Ceremony - Melodyne...should I upgrade? - 11/09/22 06:39 AM
As I wrote on another post the Sibilance tool is worth the update in my opinion. Also the ability to detect chords and provide a good listing of them on the top line. (A chord track). In general I think it is easier to use.

Tony
I received the basic version free from Izotope a year ago but have yet to take a look at it. The pitch editing I perform is on RTs to occasionally enhance fill segues, etc. For that I find Logic Pro X intuitive and effective. Given Janice’s melismatic phrasing I fear Melodyne might detonate. smile

Bud
Yes, knowing you can fix it is different from choosing to do so. On my recordings, there are only a very few times I will adjust my playing. The main one is if the note at the end of a phrase is off such that the beginning of the next phrase sounds wrong when it isn’t.

The designs of wind instruments such as trumpet have certain notes that are inherently off pitch. You can lip the note to center the pitch, and that has its own sound. If I don’t hear either the natural off-pitch note or the tone adjustment of lipping it, I know instantly that it’s been artificially processed.
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
I received the basic version free from Izotope a year ago but have yet to take a look at it. The pitch editing I perform is on RTs to occasionally enhance fill segues, etc. For that I find Logic Pro X intuitive and effective. Given Janice’s melismatic phrasing I fear Melodyne might detonate. smile

Bud

If you do ever decide to use Melodyne and decide that the basic version won't cut it for you, that free serial number you received from iZotope can be used to obtain a discount.
I love Melodyne. I bought one of the earlier versions and Celemony did a free upgrade to editor for me for one reason or another. So I have an early version of the poly version.

I love this thing because it's super easy to fix single note melodies so that they are completely transparent with ZERO artifacts when done correctly.

I don't upgrade because I still run a 32 bit OS and everything is 64 bit now.... yeah I know, I don't want to hear it. But yes, absolutely, get the upgrade if it;s being offered at a good price.
Thanks for all your input - I ended upgrading to the Assistant + quite a few extra Plugins during Black Friday....that I absolutely didn't need ....... but....had to.....just...had to have *sigh*
© PG Music Forums