PG Music Home
Posted By: Bass Thumper Bass Pedals - 01/22/23 09:50 PM
Hey fellow thumpers, anybody using bass pedals in their recordings?

In another thread Mario brought up the subject and reminded me that I actually have one. Before the pandemic I'd pull it out and jam with buddies but I've never used in recordings. So it's just been collecting dust.

Just curious if anyone has found them useful in their recordings.

Attached File
StompLab Bass Pedal.jpg  (18 downloads)
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Bass Pedals - 01/23/23 10:30 AM
If you mean virtual pedals we sometimes render a bass RT as DI and apply a Logic Pro X amp sim and occasionally a pedal sim. All to get the bass to cooperate with the kick and have its place on the soundstage.

J&B
Posted By: MarioD Re: Bass Pedals - 01/23/23 10:59 AM
Thumper that is a bass effects pedal. I was talking about a pedal that adds an octave higher or lower that the note that you are playing.

As far as both pedals (effect or octave) yes I have used VST versions of both in my recordings. Actually at touch of chorus is used on a lot of my bass recordings.
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Bass Pedals - 01/23/23 01:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
Hey fellow thumpers, anybody using bass pedals in their recordings?

If you mean adding distortion in general, I do it all the time, but not with a pedal (because I don't own one), I re-amp it with Guitar Rig (but any amp/effect sim will do).

The reason is that most RT basses are very clean, so they a) need a lot of level to be audible, and b) are barely audible on lesser devices (cell phones, TVs, etc).
Adding distortion at higher frequencies and eq it to taste solves both problems.

You can't imagine just how dirty some of my bass tracks sound soloed. In the mix they sound (almost) clean.
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: Bass Pedals - 01/23/23 06:37 PM
Yes but I play them nowadays on a MIDI keyboard or by tapping on the glass of my iPad. A number of organ and MIDI VIs let me do this.

Back in my church accompaniment days, it wasn't unusual for me to sit on the bench and play pedals only while recording—I really liked it. My stroke ended that.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Bass Pedals - 01/23/23 06:57 PM
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
... You can't imagine just how dirty some of my bass tracks sound soloed. In the mix they sound (almost) clean.

Yep. And when I mentioned using Neutron that's what I do with it - dirty it up a bit. I also use a Logic overdrive fx that I like. Sometimes I have to use a noise reducer or remover as the aforementioned processes can certainly accentuate finger and other noise.

Bud
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Bass Pedals - 01/23/23 10:38 PM
Thanks to all that replied, you've given me ideas to think about.
In addition to the dozens of effects I have on my pedal I've got 8 built-in bass models on my amp plus FX and comp; a lot to work with.

So many toys, so little time . . .
Posted By: rayc Re: Bass Pedals - 01/23/23 10:49 PM
I've not used that one. I have a hand full of pedals but only about four get regular use.
For bass it's the Behringer BDI21 which I always use as I mainly record bass DI, as well as tone shaping when needed. Depending on my playing I might put a compression pedal in from of the DI.
The others that get a run are an ancient 70s Ibanez EQ I use for the cocked wah thing, a Tasmania made Big Fluff for OTT guitar and an ACtone Vox in a box peal when I'm sketching songs.
IN THE BOX I don't use virtual pedals or amp sims these days.
The clearest thing I learnt about pedals is that most don't sound great in front of the amp - modulation & time effects sound best in the FX loop.
My amps are too old to have FX loops so that may be the reason I don't use many FX pedals.
© PG Music Forums