PG Music Home
Hi Everyone,

Got a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can help me out with.

I've been a Powertracks user for quite a while now and have done some decent recordings with it, but one thing I've never been able to do is to monitor an incoming track live, along with the applied plug in effects, as I'm playing, through my headphones.

What I usually do is
i) record (I can hear all of the other tracks that have already been recorded as I'm recording)
ii) accept the take
iii) and then I can listen to it along with all of the effects (EQ'ing and reverb) that I have enabled in PT.

But I would really love to hear those effects in my phones as I'm playing, and I'm sure it's possible. I just haven't figured out how (in a couple of years of trying every now and then).

I've got Full Duplex turned on in the PT Options panel and I'm using a MAudio 2496. And I'm usuing PT 10 b. Just curious if anyone can point me to what it is I'm missing.

Question #2 :
I play a lot of solo guitar and I'm starting to get a little more sophisticated in my miking techniques and am starting to use 2-4 mics as well as a DI box when I record a single pass. Right now I'm pre-mixing and sending Power Tracks a single stereo signal (because my audio card only has 2 ins).

I've been wondering, if I get a more heavy duty card that can handle 4 audio ins, is PT able to map those to 4 separate tracks? I've been browsing the documentation for my version and it's looking like PT can only handle a single stereo input (ie two tracks) at a time. Is that correct?

EDIT: Just noticed that I placed this in the wishlist forum instead of the General forum where it belongs.
LIve Input effects monitoring is possible with PT, kinda hard on resources and you must use ASIO soundcard driver to do it.

Preferences->Audio and check "Enable Input Monitoring"

May also have to check "Allow IM Effects Recording" -- to record the effect at the same time. This is powerful, not checking it lets you monitor wet but record dry and then apply effects when mixing, which allows you to be able to change the effect, adjust it, etc. to get best mix.

From the PT Help File:

Quote:

Enable Input Monitoring (ASIO Only) – When this checkbox is enabled (and ASIO is selected in the Driver Type combo) then PowerTracks will take the ASIO input signal from input port number 1 and send it to output 1 so that you will hear the input through the speakers. You can apply realtime effects to the monitored input by selected “
Input” in the top combo box of the DirectX/VST Realime Effects dialog. You can then select up to 4 DirectX or VST effects.

WARNING! - Do not enable this feature if the input port number 1 is set to record the output (e.g. “What you hear” or “Mix” )because enabling input monitoring in this case will cause massive feedback that could hurt your ears!

Allow IM Effects Recording – When this is enabled, and Input Monitoring is enabled, and effects plugins are enabled for input monitoring (as described above), the effected signal will be recorded instead of the dry signal.

PT and RB can handle multiple input soundcards. I've done 16 separate tracks in at the same time for onlocation recordings using PT. Of course, you need a multiple channel soundcard and a computer powerful enough to handle the job and set up for it. Second hard drive highly recommended, setting PT's Preference for Temp Audio Stream to the first logical partition on the second hard drive instead of the default C:/Temp . And the faster the second drive, the better. 7200rpm w/8mb buffer is my minimum recommendation for this task.

--Mac
© PG Music Forums