PG Music Home
Posted By: toucher Multi-track wav - 01/24/16 04:25 PM
When I first started using PowerTracks, it came with a few CDs of Multi-Track wavs. These could be opened in PowerTracks much like a midi file, except all the tracks were audio.

Does anyone know the best way to create our own multitrack wav files. They appear to have the standard extension of .WAV but they are not a simple stereo wav file.

Open to ideas, maybe Jeff can chime in on this as well.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Multi-track wav - 01/24/16 07:04 PM
Audacity http://audacityteam.org/
Preferences
When exporting tracks to an audio wav file
Use Custom mix

you can drag straight out of power tracks into audacity
just select the whole track then drag the track number into audacity

Hope this helps

Posted By: jford Re: Multi-track wav - 01/25/16 02:46 PM
I think PowerTracks (and RealBand) only allow reading of Multi-Track WAV files, but not saving back as Multi-Track WAV.

The user's manual shows this:

Quote:

MultiTracks Wave File Player

This command will play special MultiTracks wave files (up to 48 tracks). This file format is similar to regular wave files, but instead of being simple stereo or mono standard wave files these files can be quite large and contain up to 48 discrete mono tracks.

The dedicated MultiTrack Wave dialog is simply a quick means of playing these special wave files. This player can also play and preview any regular mono or stereo wave files.

To use, note the following:
1. Use the Load button to load a file.
2. Use the Play and Stop buttons to start and stop playback.
3. The Time Scrollbar lets you adjust the current time location.
4. The Import button offers the ability to import a wave or waves into new projects – provided the sampling rate and resolution of the file is supported by or can be converted by RealBand. Otherwise, the import button will be disabled (grayed out).
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Multi-track wav - 01/26/16 09:54 PM
when you set it in prefs to custom mix
export audio
save
then you get this

Attached picture audacity nulti was save.gif
Posted By: rharv Re: Multi-track wav - 01/26/16 10:52 PM
Pipeline is no apprentice (as indicated beside his post).
He knows PT/RB.
I'm glad he has joined us.
Posted By: jford Re: Multi-track wav - 01/26/16 11:02 PM
Yes, but the screen shot is from Audacity, not from PT/RB.

So, it looks like you'll have to bring your tracks in to Audacity (or a comparable program) first, then save as a MultiTrack.

Pipeline, did you try then opening that resulting file in PT/RB? I'd be curious to know that Pt/RB can read it and that it does work and the the multi-track format from Audacity is the same as the multi-track WAV files you can get when you buy Powertracks.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Multi-track wav - 01/27/16 07:57 AM
yes they are standard wav multi channel tracks up to 32 channels
you can save in different and compress formats but real band only splits multi channel wavs

Attached picture audacity real band2.gif
Posted By: jford Re: Multi-track wav - 01/28/16 12:02 AM
Thanks, that's good to know.
Posted By: toucher Re: Multi-track wav - 02/01/16 12:39 AM
Thanks Pipeline,

Wow........Finally an answer that sounds like it will work, I'm anxious to try it. Not sure why, but I've always felt like I was missing something not being able to save to multitrack wav file. Which brings up another question will other daw such as pro tools, reaper etc be able to open this type of multitrack wav file?

Rob
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Multi-track wav - 02/01/16 04:46 AM
reaper - item processing - explode multichannel audio
reaper will also render to multi channel
pro tools ?
© PG Music Forums