PG Music Home
I have been using Power Tracks since well into the last millennium. Currently using PT 2016 for live solo work (later versions offered no advantages for the way I use PT).
I use it to play backing tracks (audio), control my MIDI kit and display lyrics whilst singing and playing guitar and midi wind controller. I use many CC7 events to control the volumes of my various midi kit throughout each song.
My problem is that when I save the songs (as .SEQ files due to the audio content) and subsequently load them, all the CC7 events have been appended with CC87 events! Although these CC87 events don't affect the performance of the tracks it means I have double the amount of events to wade through (I use a lot of CC7s) when I want to find and edit a particular CC7 event. I have tried 'CUT' to remove CC87 but as soon as it is saved and reloaded they reappear.
I realise there is the 'disable special controllers' in the MIDI out options but this won't help as they are still clogging up the track when I come to event level editing.

So could I request this is added to the wish list for the next update - perhaps a checkbox under 'Options>preferences' that says "Do not add CC87 events on saving" would be great and save me a load of time (and encourage me to buy the latest updates!)
Cheers, Chris
Hello Chris Waite,

In my mind the better suggestion is for PG Music to tell why they are linking CC 7 and CC 87 together. It may turn out that PG Music can't honor your request for practical reasons.

CC 87 is undefined in the midi standard. However, when I looked through the midi forum I found +++ THIS +++ thread. In the thread the conversation is about CC 87 (undefined) is linked with CC 7 (Volume level). It turns out at least two other developers, Yamaha and Technics, link the two controllers together.

There must be a reason why so many developers link those two midi controllers together. Once PG Music provides the reason the program creates the CC87 events it may become evident why, or why not, PG Music can accommodate your request.
One of the CC87 issues that I've run into is with Yamaha.

While many CC's have a defined fixed function, others are undefined or "general purpose". With these "general purpose" CC's, manufacturers are free to assign them as they want.

Yamaha, on its Motif line, has decided to use CC87 as part of its arpeggiator functions. This means that when RB or PT sees a CC87 it triggers an arp function in my system! That makes for some interesting sound surprises!

As a result, I find it easier to reassign the arp functions to some other general purpose value other than 87 and let the PG software do its thing.

Jeff
© PG Music Forums