PG Music Home
Posted By: Bass Thumper A 3-piece band trying to make it - 06/03/23 03:13 PM
Personally I think they need a female on keyboard that can sing, but I give them credit for the uphill struggle they face in trying to reach their potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THkY86D0KW4&list=PLNJuukRtlTJ-jOkxYiF59XIGKujm9lCzP&index=2
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: A 3-piece band trying to make it - 06/03/23 11:23 PM
I watched it and I personally thought they did a pretty good job. Strong vocals, a unique style, a neat and punchy bass line and well written lyrics. Good luck to them.
Posted By: rayc Re: A 3-piece band trying to make it - 06/06/23 07:38 AM
Reminded me of the vaguely boogie rock that was very popular in Australia around 1970...Copperwine, Leo De Castro, even Galadriel et al.
Nothing ground breaking but a very good sound based on a no frills three piece arrangement - tight but spoilt by a solo that was treading water on a range of notes rather than journey.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: A 3-piece band trying to make it - 06/06/23 08:25 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
... - tight but spoilt by a solo that was treading water on a range of notes rather than journey.

The solo was not the performance showstopper. It possibly diminished the pinnacle of the talent that came before it.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: A 3-piece band trying to make it - 06/06/23 11:08 AM
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack
I watched it and I personally thought they did a pretty good job. Strong vocals, a unique style, a neat and punchy bass line and well written lyrics. Good luck to them.

I'm sure it's a personal thing; but there is so much good music out there today that imho, a 3-piece band is unlikely to make an impact, there's simply not enough instruments to produce a full satisfying groove when playing live. The musical diversity just isn't there.

Imagine (no pun intended) the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show with George or John missing; "thin" would have been the result.

An exeception are bands with a keys player; ELP comes to mind.

Interesting enough, in my youth when we frequented night clubs there was a two-piece band that really got us dancing; a drummer and a keyboard player. I think he played bass with his feet.
Posted By: rayc Re: A 3-piece band trying to make it - 06/06/23 09:58 PM
Cream?
The Jam?
Jimi Hendrix Experience?
Nirvana?
Rush?
Budgie?
Robin Trower?
Here's someone's list...
https://entertainment.expertscolumn.com/100-greatest-3-piece-rock-bands-trios-that-rocked-the-world

Live a trio needs to be energetic, propulsive and know how to fill the spaces IF needed.
Stereo guitar FX often help in a pinch.

I've seen plenty of trios live and bought albums - many albums don't actually replicate the live set or set up.
The only problem I have with a straight trio recording, as in just the three instruments + voice, is the problem of panning but that has been overcome time & again.
Posted By: etcjoe Re: A 3-piece band trying to make it - 06/09/23 02:32 PM
I saw ZZ Top live once and they were underwhelming. But, they were loud, so there is that. Plenty of good trios in history. It is just so hard to make an impact anymore, as was discussed in another post not too long ago.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: A 3-piece band trying to make it - 07/16/23 03:07 PM
This video was OK.... but the guitar player needs to up his game a bit and they need a certain something I didn't see or hear. In all fairness, it was a studio set up and not live in front of a crowd that was feeding energy back and forth.

For a significant part of my musical stage life, I was in a 3 piece band. It didn't start that way however. I was hired into a 3 piece band that was mostly country and had a rhythm player who sang. They were established and had jobs booked. Originally they did an Elvis show with a fairly decent EP impersonator. He either quit or they fired him for one of a hundred different reasons but they decided to continue on as a straight up country act.
I was brought on as a lead guitar player and backup vocalist. All went well for a couple of weeks until one night the singer/guitarist didn't show up for the gig. We had a choice.... tuck tail and go home or power through and do the gig. The drummer decided that he would sing all the songs. He had never sang lead before. The bass player told me to follow him because I still didn't know all the songs, especially the beginnings, since the other guitarist would start them out. We managed to pull off the gig and completed the weekend to a crowd that loved what we did. We busted our butts the following week learning how to play properly as a 3 piece band and continued to play through 2 incarnations of this same line up over the next several years. We were quite formidable and developed a reputation as a solid band. I was essentially a rock guitarist who brought that mindset into the country band trio setting. My playing style was and still is to a large part rhythm with fills. From a rock perspective, this was the perfect combination for the band who's drummer was also from a rock background. If nothing else, we had fun at the gigs and that translated to the audience. One club mgr told us that he had serious doubts about hiring a 3 piece band but that our sound was fuller and richer sounding than some of the 5 and 6 piece bands he booked. That's a cool compliment and yep...we'll take it. And a 6 pack to go.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: A 3-piece band trying to make it - 07/16/23 10:14 PM
I played in a three piece band for awhile. I played drums and harmonica. A friend played rhythm guitar. My elder brother switched between B3 organ, sax and lead guitar as needed. All three would sing lead or background vocals depending on the song. We played a mixture of rock and country from 7 PM to 1 AM each week night. We had a second gig on Saturdays and Sundays playing standards at a supper club from 1 PM - 4 PM. Saturday nights we would normally hire out to play in other area bands.

Between playing music and running a morning and evening paper route seven days a week I stayed pretty busy.
© PG Music Forums