PG Music Home

proof demonstrated at about 13 min into the video
Great video Mike, I really enjoyed it.
Great stuff, Mike. J knew that I didn't have 10,000 hours to learn stuff, but 20? Maybe!
Good video - shared it with my kids. I believe he's about right, but I also believe that it takes more than just the 20 hours. He has an ear for music which either came naturally to him, or required much more than 20 hours to develop.

But his point is well taken that it doesn't take 10,000 to become good at something. However, even he is guilty of the telephone game distortion of the 10,000 hour rule. Malcom Gladwell's book 'Outliers' doesn't talk just about the 10,000 hour rule - it also talks about imbalanced advantages that also contribute to expert level skill development. The chapter on hockey players coming out of Canada being born in a 2 or 3 month window of the year is one example. Another is his chapter on the titans of the IT industry and their rather singular access to computing technology at relatively young ages.

Anyways, it's another inspiring TED talk and I believe it does certainly apply to persons attempting to use music creation software like PG's products.

-Scott
© PG Music Forums