PG Music Home
Posted By: raymb1 10 year old jazz pianist - 01/24/14 06:16 PM
10 year old pianist. Fantastic! Later, Ray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_fQrcEfXRU
Posted By: Mac Re: 10 year old jazz pianist - 01/24/14 06:56 PM
I'm impressed.

lots of youngsters might figure out the chords and such, but his Touch is also already absolutely matured.

Hey - anybody asked Monty where he was and what he was up to about elven years ago? *grin*

--Mac
Posted By: raymb1 Re: 10 year old jazz pianist - 01/26/14 12:14 AM
Guess a 10 year jazz pianist prodigy doesn't make too much of an impression here. I thought there were a number of jazz pianists on the forum. Later, Ray
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: 10 year old jazz pianist - 01/26/14 01:19 AM
Ray,

I must say I'm knocked out. What fantastic and beautiful technique. Effortless rendition. It's hard to image what the future might hold for this young man (scary even....)

I'll add that I was knocked out when he leaves the piano stool at 11:45 or so. No 88 is going to get in that guy's way!

Thanks for sharing
Trevor
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: 10 year old jazz pianist - 01/26/14 07:14 AM
I must admit to being a bit mesmerized by this talent. What a great find Ray.

Here's another:

There's many more

His timing and intonation are absolutely world class. Musically mature far beyond his age.

Listen to the solo at about 21:30 in this clip, including the mastery of Pentatonic scales. Whew!
Posted By: sixchannel Re: 10 year old jazz pianist - 01/27/14 01:54 PM
Behind ever child protégé there is a bullying parent.
And ahead of him? Fame or oblivion?
Posted By: Mac Re: 10 year old jazz pianist - 01/27/14 02:16 PM
Originally Posted By: sixchannel

That's not factual, actually. Depends on the family.

And, I think you really mean, "prodigy" there, not "protege"...

--Mac
Posted By: sixchannel Re: 10 year old jazz pianist - 01/27/14 04:31 PM
I meant Protégé. Do you think he got there all by himself?
He's 10 for goodness sake. What does he know about Show Biz?
He may well be a Prodigy too - time will tell whether it is REAL talent or just hard learning.
Sorry, folks, I am not a fan of exploitation of the young, protégé or prodigy. Have a Childhood first.
Posted By: Mac Re: 10 year old jazz pianist - 01/27/14 11:11 PM
A shame you hold such a biased and even prejudiced attitude about it, sixchannel. I hope you can look beyond that and find out some truth concerning the issu.

Some children are born with incredibly high intelligence levels and to them, such endeavors as depicted here IS "childhood".

Many times, the parents have nothing to do with it, no musical background themselves, and here comes this incredible kid.

Quite a few musical prodigies are the impetus themselves that has parents who don't play music, can't play music, therefore cannot do the type of things to the kid that you claim is done, rather the parents find out that they must go out and find the proper teachers, etc. - often at the insistence of the child. In the case of yours truly, my parents actually had to constantly be active in trying to make me participate in OTHER endeavors. !

Please watch this report:

And such is not relegated only to the music performance category, either.

None of these children's parents are even ABLE to teach or unduly influence the performance levels that these children ENJOY. They are simply doing that which they were created to do.

The real and true problem with being a child prodigy is that one day, you grow up.

All of a sudden you are faced with being just another adult that does whatever it is that adults do - and the sudden lack of being so special can be rather devastating if not handled well.

A lot of bright and gifted young children have nobody to BE their PROTEGE, too.

--Mac
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: 10 year old jazz pianist - 01/27/14 11:47 PM
Originally Posted By: sixchannel

Hmmmm... A pretty strong statement: "Behind ever(sic) child protégé there is a bullying parent."

Firstly, I don't think it's that black-and-white, and I also think the opposite can be true. There are child geniuses. Who has the right to not nurture and encourage such a gift?

And with this young man, no amount of 'bullying' could possibly produce that level of talent. Surely?

I could only identify an amazing natural ability. Did he achieve such Virtuoso Articulation from bullying? I seriously doubt it.

Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: sixchannel Re: 10 year old jazz pianist - 01/28/14 04:49 PM
It was my 2 cents worth too. grin
Nothing like a bit of rhetoric to get things going.
OK, OK - maybe I was a bit hard on the parents. smile
It would be interesting if the media had or were able to revisit these "prodigies" 10 - 15 years down the line and see a) where it got them and b)if that Talent remained.
As an aside - I am fascinated by early NATURAL high quality abilities as, having an young autistic member in our distant family, who finds many everyday things beyond her, we are continually stunned with her ability to listen to a tune just the once and play it on the electric piano. And No - we will not be putting her on the TV. whistle
Ian
Posted By: Mac Re: 10 year old jazz pianist - 01/28/14 09:36 PM
"Fame and Fortune" is not exactly everyone's idea of what constitutes success in life...

Posted By: sixchannel Re: 10 year old jazz pianist - 01/28/14 10:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Mac
"Fame and Fortune" is not exactly everyone's idea of what constitutes success in life...

Absolutely, Mac. smile
© PG Music Forums