PG Music Home
That is not my own opinion but that of the music writers worldwide. Only the huge influence his music has had on this old Irishman tends to confirm it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BV6b_Ts0k0&list=RDRCj_XmmGsWI
I was watching some videos of him a couple of days ago. I have been covering 'Cotton Jenny' for a long time and wanted to double check the lyrics. If I do Streetjelly, it'll be in the set.

Of course he had the hits that everyone knows, but he wrote many, many beautiful songs.
Gordy rules. We were fortunate to see him live in L.A. and Miami years ago. It was like being in church - a truly religious experience.
Scott, like you, I covered Gord's lesser known songs. The highly commercialized songs became very tiring.

I covered "Susan's Floor", "Steel Rail Blues", "Did She Mention My Name?" and other lesser known songs.

"Go Go Round" and "Winter's Night" are some of his best poetry, in my opinion.

Long chat with Hayley yesterday. She wants to start writing her own songs but tends to shy away from the term "co-write". She has some contractual obligations apparently. I didn't fully understand.

I'm working on Nokie to take Hayley on his next Japanese tour. I've only hinted at it with Hayley, not asked her outright. Nokie calls the Japanese "the most loyal fans in the world." After 50+ years, he is still treated as royalty so he goes back as often as possible to bask in their love.
Best wishes to you, my friend.
Hi, Don !

You might not know , but Gord became a honorary member of the Barbershop
Harmony Society in 2006 !!

Gordon Lightfoot
singer, songwriter
Gordon Meredith Lightfoot, Jr., CC, O.Ont (born November 17, 1938) is a Canadian singer and songwriter who has achieved international success in folk, country, and popular music. As a singer-songwriter, he came to prominence in the 1960s, and entered the international music charts in the 1970s with songs such as "If You Could Read My Mind" (1970), "Sundown" (1974), "Carefree Highway" (1974), "Rainy Day People" (1975), and "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" (1976). Read more on wikipedia.org.

That was the excerpt from the list of Honorary Members

Cheers
Dani
Dani,

I hadn't known that but his guitarist, Red Shea, who I credit for the Lightfoot signature sound, was a fellow Jehovah's Witness, my spiritual brother.

Thanks for your information.

Incidentally, his highly-played songs were not his best, in my opinion. He had many others that demonstrated his gift as a poet. "Susan's Floor" is one of my all time favorites.
An aortic aneurism was the same thing that killed my brother. He had been sleeping on the sofa and, upon getting up, the cardiovascular stress was too great. The aorta ruptured and he was dead before he hit the floor. (ok, not literally) EMT could not revive him and they arrived within 6 minutes.
© PG Music Forums