PG Music Home
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Jason Aldean FOH setup video - - 03/25/15 10:16 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d6mFYnhUAU

Utilizing a Waves Soundgrid server, Jason Aldean's FOH mix uses nearly 200 fx's. The video goes through the various mixes and sub mixes.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Jason Aldean FOH setup video - - 03/25/15 10:58 AM
Excellent. Very informative and interesting.

THANKS! for finding and posting that, Charlie!!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Jason Aldean FOH setup video - - 03/25/15 11:27 AM
He needs to clean those air filters on the extreme servers....

The new live mix consoles are really, really impressive.

No more huge racks of outboards.... it's all in the box these days and so much more convenient. I didn't watch the entire video, but those digital boards can save settings and scenes making the FOH job much easier.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Jason Aldean FOH setup video - - 03/25/15 12:01 PM
Good one Charlie. Another important aspect is the amount of power these guys use.

"Today, the arena dates on the tour (way larger for football stadiums, slightly larger for Wrigley Field, Fenway Park) consists of (40) J8s for the main hang, (32) J12s side hang, (16) flown J-Subs, (18) ground J-Subs, (8) Q10 front fills, (74) D12 amplifiers."

D12's are 1200 watts at 4 ohms. shocked

http://www.mixonline.com/news/tours/jason-aldean-riding-night-train-2013/368306
Posted By: gibson Re: Jason Aldean FOH setup video - - 03/26/15 07:34 AM
Charlie,

Interesting reading. Thanks for sharing.

It would be interesting to compare with the set up the Beatles used at The Shea Stadium in '65 grin

Alyn
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Jason Aldean FOH setup video - - 03/26/15 12:08 PM
Charlie, a fantastic item, great to watch, informative plus! and thanks for sharing it.

Trev
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Jason Aldean FOH setup video - - 03/26/15 01:04 PM
Thanks for the comments.

90db, my son in law who is a live sound engineer also commented on the massive power needed for the tour. Your link goes really well with the FOH video.

If you made it to near the end of the video, a 'learn more' caption popped up and redirected you to the Soundgrid website. There you learned the two extreme servers retail at $2490 each. $5k for server and redundancy. Like Herb said, I'd keep their vents clean!

Interestingly, when I first visited this site, it listed 4 models varying in price and features from $450 to the extreme at $2490. Today, the $450 model has been dropped from the lineup and only 3 models were listed, starting at $700.

The $450 could have actually worked quite well as a dedicated unit for a home studio running up to 34 effects simultaneously.

In the most technical sense, at a 'live' Jason Aldean concert, we never actually get to hear how Jason really sounds live, only the processed Jason.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Jason Aldean FOH setup video - - 03/26/15 01:24 PM
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
Thanks for the comments.

90db, my song in law who is a live sound engineer also commented on the massive power needed for the tour. Your link goes really well with the FOH video.

If you made it to near the end of the video, a 'learn more' caption popped up and redirected you to the Soundgrid website. There you learned the two extreme servers retail at $2490 each. Interestingly, when I first visited this site, it listed 4 models varying in price and features from $450 to the extreme at $2490. Today, the $450 model has been dropped from the lineup and only 3 models were listed, starting at $700.

The $450 would actually work quite well as a dedicated unit for a home studio and run 34 effects simultaneously.

In the most technical sense, at a 'live' Jason Aldean concert, we never actually get to hear how Jason really sounds live, only the processed Jason.

I frequent a site for pro sound & light people, some of whom mix the "A" grade acts. It's mindblowing how much gear is used on a major tour these days! I remember the Grateful Dead's first tour, when I got to spend some time with them. They could put their entire system in a 22' U-Haul truck! shocked grin

Regards,

Bob
© PG Music Forums