PG Music Home
Ok, so even if this feature in this keyboard has been referred to as "Audio Style" by the makers, it is in fact only the drums that are 100% audio-recorded...but well, that's how it started on here too, innit! wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEkOM2SzjyA
Originally Posted By: Icelander
...but well, that's how it started on here too, innit! wink

I personally expect that the next evolutionary step in the Tyros line is going to include audio styles with instruments other than just percussion. According to this online article, Yamaha has been filing a number of patent applications pertaining to the generation of automatic accompaniment data using phrase waveform data including chords. The various applications deal with addressing issues that come up with pitch shifting, time stretching, and producing chords with audio waveforms using chord roots and chord type as a guide.

If Yamaha sticks to its past history of releasing a new Tyros every 3 years we should see something in late 2016 or early 2017.
That's very interesting, nice addition to what I knew so far. And thanks for that every 3 years tip, for I've been seriously toying with getting the current Tyros 5, but now I just might hold that thought a bit longer cool
That's very interesting, nice addition to what I knew so far. And thanks for that every 3 years tip, for I've been seriously toying with getting the current Tyros 5, but now I just might hold that thought a bit longer cool

I certainly wouldn't want to cause you to miss out on the great sounds that the Tyros 5 is capable of producing if you have the money in your budget to get one. At least I would not want you to base your decision on my speculation on future features or release dates.

I tend to use the profits that I get from my music businesses to buy more music toys and almost purchased the Tyros 5 in the spring of 2014, but took the money that I had set aside for the Tyros and invested in an advanced cataract surgery over and above what Blue Cross would pay for. But surprise, surprise; my wife knew where I pulled the money from and bought a T5 for my birthday this year. I have absolutely loved the sounds that I get out of it. Understand that I love my wife even more. smile

One thing I'll point out is that getting the Tyros at any point is just the beginning of the investment. If it's going to leave the studio it needs a case which costs another 5 and a half hundred or so. If you want to add samples, premium voices, and styles it requires a flash board ($300.00), and outside of the sales that Yamaha has around the holidays, each of the premium styles cost $160. And the speakers, bench and stand are all separate purchases if you don't already have them like I did.

That said, Sweetwater has a Tyros 5-76 Demo for sale right now.
Originally Posted By: KeithS
At least I would not want you to base your decision on my speculation on future features or release dates.
Don't worry, it won't be...or at least not based on that alone, heh wink
Thanks for the sale tip, but well... if that's their "on sale" price, I'd not like to see their usual full price! shocked

p.s. I seem to have missed any mention of a "flash board" when I was watching these vids, I'm not even sure what that is?? confused

p.s. I seem to have missed any mention of a "flash board" when I was watching these vids, I'm not even sure what that is?? confused

The flash boards, or expansion boards are necessary to install premium voices and styles, although the Tyros will otherwise work fine without one since it comes with plenty of factory voices and styles. The Tyros uses the same boards as the Motif. They come in three sizes, 500mB, 1gB, and 2gB. I was fortunate to have purchased the 1gB board seeing as I burned through 500mB in no time.

If you CLICK HERE you will find some information to get you started on the expansion boards.
It looks like I've found my "go-to" guy on this subject, very impressive cool
I'll make a mental note of your knowledge of Tyros for future refs, but might use the direct channel if I got further questions so to not go too far off concept for this forum (wow, that was some flourished paragraph!). Many thanks for your insights smile
I wanted to travel back in time and update this topic since there is finally some new information on Yamaha's Tyros line. Yamaha dealers are confirming that Yamaha has ceased production on the Tyros 5. The availability of new Tyros 5s will be limited to what dealers now have on hand.

Beyond that, Yamaha has said nothing officially of what is next for the Tyros line or if it will continue at all. The only folks who seem to know anything at all are some of the European dealerships who are reporting a mid September release date for a brand new arranger keyboard called the Genos. Whether this is going to replace the Tyros as Yamaha's Flagship arranger keyboard remains to be seen.
This "Genos" thing is a new concept to me, thanks for the insight.
Time to go googling away yet again! crazy
And just to tie the thread up, it's clearly no longer just a "rumour". Looks like Tyros is out, then.

Anyway, here's some of the things their new ones can do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwBLCaBRcwY&t=2s
© PG Music Forums