PG Music Home
I want to get started creating videos and slide shows with my music to upload to Youtube. I've sort of reviewed the free versions of nch VideoPad and the VSDC. Both seam to be suitable enough from what I can tell. But, I'd rather not get started learning a certain GUI, hit limitations or restriction, and then have to learn another. However, I won't mind learning, say, two, if they compliment each other such as Band In A Box and Reaper do for audio.
Thanks for your recommendations.
Do you want Free or Paid?

You have mentioned using Free already, but didn't say if you are only seeking recommendations on Free products.

I don't use Free, and actually the system I use is expensive and has a very steep learning curve.

Separately, Camtasia Studio (Techsmith) offers great value for the price. I use that also.
I recently went through a similar odyssey, actually, still going through it. I settled on NCH Video Pad, installedc the trial and then bought it.
On the way, I made a mistake of buying one product, based strictly on name, and lived to regret it. It wouldn't install and they kept my money., after dancing around the moon.
The NCH results have been good, but there is a learning curve, as any visit to the online tutorials soon reveals. The good news is that results show promise -- just a little different way of working. NCH has picked up on some of the old Final Cut features, which is good to know. Still, I won't buy any video editor that does not offer free trial, if there are any of them.
I am waiting on the coders of Reaper. If you are familiar with SONY Acid and Movie Studio, you'll recognize many similarities in Reaper. I don't know why people did not embrace SONY audio and video. They were great products, but never seemed to catch on. Anyway, Reaper is making noises about a video editor in the works. If and when I'm there.
I will add, don't overlook the free Movie that comes with Windows. It is quite capable, esp for You Tubers.
YouTube has a very nice video editor that you can do most basic to intermediate work in.

If you're running Windows, Windows Movie Maker is built into most versions of Windows. Macs have something similar, forgot the name. They will all teach you basic editing.

Go to YouTube and click on or create a free account. Click on that account and then on Create video. An editor will open.

Donny
Thanks for the recommendations. I started using VSDC and had so much fun in one evening I paid the $20 for the full version. I also started trying NCH VideoPad and I like that one also.
I use NCH video pad and have been very happy with it. Good luck with your video making!
I've been using Magix products for 15 years and found them to be a wonderful value. I'm currently using Magix Movie Editor Pro MX Plus. It's an older version but I really like it.
Lightworks is free movie studio level video editor that has been used to do entire movie editing but the GUI is very intimidating and requires a thorough knowledge of esoteric terminology.

The brave at heart can download it here: ( it's 87 meg )

https://www.lwks.com/
Lightworks free?; it looks as if it's a version of Adobe Premiere. The main issue i (personally) have as with the latest Premiere too, is that you pay for a subscription period. I bought a Premiere license on ebay for the older CS6 version, more than adequate for me, and it was around 90 U$D, about the same for a years' Lightworks subscription fee. Price was probably lot less than originally. Drawback is that there will be no updates alas. I tried out several others, but i still like Premiere a lot. Some pro video editors use it too. - F
A major step up from Windows Movie Maker and still free is VirtualDub. Highly recommended and there are several user forums about it.

http://www.virtualdub.org/download.html

Click on the link for Sound Forge.

Bob
I remember VirtualDub from 15 years ago.

Reaper is easy if you are accustomed to DAW's

Reaper-Multicam-Mix.mp4
I squeezed in on the free download of VSDC Video Editor. I haven't used it yet but it looks like everything I'll ever need for making cool videos and slideshows. Nice GUI and audio feature set.
The VSDC Video Editor Pro is 60% off at the moment $19.99
You can get the VSDC Video Editor Pro FREE at sharewareonsale.com

https://sharewareonsale.com/product-tag/giveaway+active-deals?os=windows
I have a friend who works in video editing and he mentioned DaVinci Resolve, Lightworks, and Media 100 as good programs for beginners. They are free, too. I have never worked in any video editing software myself, so I'd absolutely suggest looking into these first!

Hope this helps you out, even if a little smile
I did a tutorial on DaVinci Resolve here: Music Video Creation but I think Reaper was a lot easier.
There are also some links to multicam music videos to practice with.
Originally Posted By: PatsFan6520
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
YouTube has a very nice video editor that you can do most basic to intermediate work in.

If you're running Windows, Windows Movie Maker is built into most versions of Windows. Macs have something similar, forgot the name. They will all teach you basic editing.

Go to YouTube and click on or create a free account. Click on that account and then on Create video. An editor will open.

Donny

Don, do you know if Windows 10 is compatible with Movie Maker? Can't seem to get it to work frown.

No, M$ has withdrawn support for WMM and have replaced it with Movie Maker 10 which is compatible with W10. I just began trying it yesterday and find it less user-friendly than WMM. In fact, I'm currently exploring other FREE programs that will allow editing of mp4 video format for a music video project that I am working on.

Movie Maker 10 is a free download.
I don't do a great deal of video work, although I am leading up to it, but I also use NCH Video Pad. It has a lot of good features and so far I am satisfied with it. All of them have a certain amount of learning curve. Years ago, I used Premiere. Now that one has a real learning curve. Good luck in your search. Be well.
Originally Posted By: guitar1
I don't do a great deal of video work, although I am leading up to it, but I also use NCH Video Pad. It has a lot of good features and so far I am satisfied with it. All of them have a certain amount of learning curve. Years ago, I used Premiere. Now that one has a real learning curve. Good luck in your search. Be well.

Guitar1,

By coincidence, a friend recommended NCH Video Pad to me yesterday. It looks like everything I will need to create a music video.

I sincerely appreciate your endorsement. It saves everyone the frustration of trial and error. There are so many free mp4 editors available that I could be weeks testing them all.
© PG Music Forums