PG Music Home
Posted By: AudioTrack How Guitar Strings are made - 09/20/20 05:37 AM

Interesting watch.
Posted By: MountainSide Re: How Guitar Strings are made - 09/20/20 08:13 AM
Well, I have to admit VT, you got me off on a wild tangent. Don't know much about guitars but being an engineer I'm interested in the manufacturing process. Thanks for the link.

I didn't know that there were round core and hex core strings (as explained in the link below). I get the impression that round cores are no longer in demand.

Jeff

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/blog/hex-core-round-core-strings/
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: How Guitar Strings are made - 09/20/20 11:04 AM
Jeff, I don't know much about the internals of guitar strings either, but I'm always fascinated with mechanical handling, and, well, this video filled several intrigues.
Trev
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: How Guitar Strings are made - 09/21/20 10:19 AM
Wow - thanks for sharing this. I've always been fascinated with the craft that goes into making the instruments we use for our art.

It might be a challenge to find what it was I watched, but 12 years ago maybe on basic cable I watched a fascinating documentary they went over the process in building various orchestral instruments. I remember one part that fascinated me was that certain violin strings are made from dried twisted animal intestines. I can't imagine the thought process that went into figuring out that one.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: How Guitar Strings are made - 09/23/20 05:41 PM
Very interesting, I had thought it was all machine done. Surprised to see humans actually touch the strings in the process.

Thanks for posting.

Later,
Posted By: Tangmo Re: How Guitar Strings are made - 09/23/20 09:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow - thanks for sharing this. I've always been fascinated with the craft that goes into making the instruments we use for our art.

It might be a challenge to find what it was I watched, but 12 years ago maybe on basic cable I watched a fascinating documentary they went over the process in building various orchestral instruments. I remember one part that fascinated me was that certain violin strings are made from dried twisted animal intestines. I can't imagine the thought process that went into figuring out that one.

I've wondered the same thing. Surely it wasn't "we've built this violin, now what in the world are we going to use to make the strings?". Maybe it was "what are we going to do with all this excess animal intestines?"
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: How Guitar Strings are made - 09/24/20 01:22 AM
Certainly a lot of instrument strings were made from 'Catgut', which probably referred to animals intestines from many different animals.

Update: Wikipedia has a chapter on this very topic.
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: How Guitar Strings are made - 09/24/20 10:11 PM
I always find it really fascinating to learn how things are made. It's quite the rabbit hole to fall down when you dig deep into how things have changed over the years versus modern practices.

Thanks for sharing!
© PG Music Forums