PG Music Home
Posted By: pghboemike Sea shanties now a thing - 01/20/21 09:23 PM
Posted By: etcjoe Re: Sea shanties now a thing - 01/21/21 09:19 AM
Have you seen the movie Fisherman's Friends? Based on the true story of a group that formed and sings sea shanties. Filmed in the same town they film Doc Martin, Port Isaac on the Atlantic coast of north Cornwall, England.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Sea shanties now a thing - 01/22/21 11:00 AM
I've never used TikTok in my life, so this was news to me - what an oddly fascinating video. And a bizarre timeline we're in that sea shanties are suddenly popular. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: furry Re: Sea shanties now a thing - 01/23/21 07:11 PM
Originally Posted By: etcjoe
Have you seen the movie Fisherman's Friends? Based on the true story of a group that formed and sings sea shanties. Filmed in the same town they film Doc Martin, Port Isaac on the Atlantic coast of north Cornwall, England.

They're lovely singers. Well arranged vocals and a good range of songs
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Sea shanties now a thing - 01/23/21 09:00 PM
The interesting thing about TikTok is that regardless of what social media platforms you use, their videos pop up all over the place. My roommate who is in the writing community on Twitter had mentioned these sea shanties to me, and we spent quite some time watching each person add their own spin onto it. It has been really neat to see musicians or those with a musical interest stepping up to participate in a music trend on TikTok.

The video itself raised some interested points and I never would have considered how a shanty itself might be a perfect fit structurally for a platform like TikTok. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Mike Whitman Re: Sea shanties now a thing - 01/28/21 12:42 PM
This is pretty cool. My son is a member of the US Navy Band Sea Chanters. They were formed back in the 60's (I think) to perform Sea Shanties. Of course now they sing everything from classic choral music to Motown to jazz to Pop; you name it. I just spoke with my son and he was aware of the new popularity of Sea Shanties. The have just put together a Shanty version of a Taylor Swift song. Here is a link that gives a little taste of what they do. https://youtu.be/p16Xfr9QCXQ You can see more of them on the US Navy Band Youtube channel. By the way my son is singing the solo on "Sailing" in the posted link.
Posted By: Mike Whitman Re: Sea shanties now a thing - 01/28/21 01:50 PM
This is pretty cool. My son is a member of the US Navy Band Sea Chanters. They were formed back in the 60's (I think) to perform Sea Shanties. Of course now they sing everything from classic choral music to Motown to jazz to Pop; you name it. I just spoke with my son and he was aware of the new popularity of Sea Shanties. The have just put together a Shanty version of a Taylor Swift song. Here is a link that gives a little taste of what they do. https://youtu.be/p16Xfr9QCXQ You can see more of them on the US Navy Band Youtube channel. By the way my son is singing the solo on "Sailing" in the posted link.
© PG Music Forums