PG Music Home
Posted By: Rob4580 Copyright issues on Youtube - 02/03/21 06:22 PM
I thought this was serious enough to post.
Rob4580

I'm Sick And Tired of These Labels Trying to Copyright Claim My Content, Time to Fight Back
Posted By: Callie - PG Music Re: Copyright issues on Youtube - 02/03/21 06:45 PM
Great information - thank you for sharing!
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Copyright issues on Youtube - 02/20/21 10:07 PM
I just listened to some of his actual music vids and there are identifiable musical hooks in there. I can't tell if they're original to him or not. What he's saying could be correct that these companies are simply throwing claims around knowing he won't dispute it.

On the other hand when he says he's creating his examples live and not copying others, that doesn't mean anything. We all can and have jammed with friends and come up with cool grooves and lead lines that sounds pretty good and we'll say wow, we should copyright that but then later we realize that groove or hook came from some album we heard years ago.

There is such a huge amount of protected material out there that it's really easy to do what he did and not realize it's from somebody else's work. It doesn't have to be an exact copy, just "close enough". The only way to know that is to dispute it and then the claimant has to produce the proof. If he really believes what he says, that's what he should do.

A true video about this would be if he lost that dispute and he posts both his track and the original track so we all can hear what they sound like, he has three shots so why not take one?

Bob
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Copyright issues on Youtube - 02/20/21 11:59 PM
Bob,

I recently read an article (unfortunately I didn't save a link to it) about someone that received that third strike. Not only was their channel removed from YouTube but they also were blocked from accessing every other account on web space owned by Google such as GMail and OneDrive.

Google has a BIG footprint.
Posted By: etcjoe Re: Copyright issues on Youtube - 02/22/21 09:04 AM
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Bob,

I recently read an article (unfortunately I didn't save a link to it) about someone that received that third strike. Not only was their channel removed from YouTube but they also were blocked from accessing every other account on web space owned by Google such as GMail and OneDrive.

And way too much power.
Posted By: edshaw Re: Copyright issues on Youtube - 02/23/21 09:50 AM
That is good information, Rob. Well worth posting. What is happening to Dash and the artists specializing in synth could spread to software-generated music, in general. There is no accounting for taste, musical interests, and there shouldn't be.
If someone gets hooked on synth (I think that would include hip hop and rap) I think they should be free to pursue that interest if it makes them happy. For someone to come along, point to a similarity between one track and another, when all that had been done by the producer was to combine effects strikes me as ludicrous. The producer should be praised for his or her skill in "creating" those combinations in the first place, not punished for getting good at a hobby. If they find a way to make money at it. more power to them. I can't imagine the Copyright Division of the LOC agreeing to come close to touching this matter. In fact, Copyright should rule that owing to unsolvable complications, synth should refrain from applying.
In the end, we are back to Silicon Valley's insatiable lust for power and control. You Tube is a part of that sickness.
They are restricting dialogue, free expression, and creativity in America, each foundational to our way of life.

Posted By: EatMe Re: Copyright issues on Youtube - 02/24/21 02:27 PM
My youtube channel got deleted.

There was a claim from the bpi.co.uk that "my own video" was proof of "my own video" being their content.

I disputed with all song creation info, and N.N. (name needed) and no address.

Youtube promptly deleted my channel.

The claim got retracted, as in pulled back.

I'm not able to upload videos anymore and my about 88.000 views on the channel and fans are lost.

The bpi.co.uk has an automated email reply system.
Posted By: edshaw Re: Copyright issues on Youtube - 02/24/21 09:20 PM
Originally Posted By: etcjoe
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Bob,

And way too much power.

True, but they have pushed both their luck and their mental illnesses, not to mention the law, which they are quick to both break and accuse others of breaking. At one time, they were the only game in town. I still honor the pioneers and what they were able to accomplish. The new breed? Welll....
© PG Music Forums